Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   If you couldn't buy anymore------ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/if-you-couldnt-buy-anymore-t42367.html)

stitchinwitch 04-11-2010 05:45 AM

If you had to rely ONLY on your stash, and could NEVER buy anymore quilt related or sewing related treasures anymore, How many quilts could you make? Also, for notions or other supplies, how would you "substitute" household things for what you would normally buy? Like - you need a bigger sewing table - what would you use that you already have at home? New patterns - could you see a design in flooring, or a scene out the window, etc? You get the idea!

isnthatodd 04-11-2010 05:53 AM

I think I'm good for the rest of my life on fabric and patterns. I might have to figure out a substitute for thread, however. Any ideas?

b.zang 04-11-2010 05:53 AM

Good grief, I can't estimate in numbers that big!
I recently found a deal on batting and stocked up on more than I can currently imagine using.
As for patterns, when I sit in workshops I gaze around the room and find decor that would work in a quilt then copy it (I'm not much of a note-taker).

b.zang 04-11-2010 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by isnthatodd
I think I'm good for the rest of my life on fabric and patterns. I might have to figure out a substitute for thread, however. Any ideas?

fabric is woven threads

Scissor Queen 04-11-2010 05:59 AM

I think I could make at least 100 quilts from my stash. I have already designed several of my own patterns so I could keep right on doing that. I just use graph paper and pencil or a variety of rulers and plain newsprint paper. If I need a bigger table to sew on I would just go sew on the folding table we have.

lindy 04-11-2010 06:07 AM

Hold on while I regain my balance and digest the 'can't buy any more fabric' idea! My kids will be (gulp) tossing fabric when I die, unless I live another 60 years and really don't buy any more.

1quilt_gma 04-11-2010 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by b.zang

Originally Posted by isnthatodd

fabric is woven threads

If you went that far, you would be back to doing everything by hand.

I have enough in my stash to last me quite awhile. But if I got tired of using the same fabric, I would be interesting in swapping here with other people for a variety....which I may do anyway later. Would that count? You would not be buying any new fabric, but would be having to pay postage.....

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 04-11-2010 06:14 AM

My "stash" consists of 2 clear shoebox size totes with scraps from the few quilts I've done. None are more than a fat quarter. My one big piece of fabric is 2 yards I just bought for sashing on my farm exchage blocks. If I can only work with that, I guess I'll have to start cutting up the bed sheets!!

MaryStoaks 04-11-2010 06:15 AM

I'd be fine forever. The stash is big!

littlehud 04-11-2010 06:42 AM

I would be fine for a few years. But I can't imagine not buying fabric. My kids would think there was something wrong with me.