Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   If you need a quarter-yard... exactly a quarter-yard... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/if-you-need-quarter-yard-exactly-quarter-yard-t23821.html)

sewjoyce 08-06-2009 05:31 PM

I always buy extra!! Sometimes my math is way off or I cut blocks wrong or whatever. And you know about being able to go back to the LQS and get more of that same fabric....yeah, right!

And some quilt stores I've been in measure a little too "close" and you don't get your actual measurement but are always short. Obviously, I don't go back to those places....JoAnn's is sometimes bad about this too!

Aussie Quilter 08-06-2009 06:39 PM

I usually buy at least ½ metre (1m = 39"). Listening to Alex Anderson on TV last week, she says that she usually buys 1/3 yard, ½ yard if she likes it, 1 yard if she really likes it, and 2+ yards if it is to die for.

sewnsewer2 08-06-2009 07:48 PM

When I buy fabric, I generally buy 1/4 yard extra because I do make mistakes and workers can't cut straight!

bearisgray 08-10-2009 09:54 AM

I think your question is -

as a shop-owner or manager -

If a customer asks for a quarter of a yard - can you sell exactly 9 inches of fabric or an exact 18" long FQ - and have the customer leaving the store a happy camper?

I am always happy to get more/extra - but I won't "fuss" if I get AT LEAST what I ask for. I may not go back, but I won't go out of my way to bad-mouth the store.

I always re-measure my fabrics when I get home. I get ****** if I'm even shorted an 1/8 of an inch. I will at least call and let the store know I was not happy. And then I do my "negative advertising"

I usually buy "extra" to allow for all those annoying things, but I don't feel the shop owner/manager is responsible to "compensate" for them by cutting more than asked for. UNLESS the fabric is flawed.

bearisgray 08-10-2009 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Loretta
If I owned a quilt shop, and was cutting fabric, I would measure 1 extra inch on every cut automatically. When the customer sees that, it gives a good impression as opposed to watching a clerk measure "on the line" over and over. Just my thought on cutting for the public. Its the best advertisement yet for a shop.

I agree up to a point - but should there be an extra inch if someone is only buying 1/8 of a yard, and only ONE extra inch if someone is buying 10 yards?

Scissor Queen 08-10-2009 10:18 AM

If I needed a quarter yard and wasn't going to have any use for the scraps I would buy a third of a yard cut. That gives you plenty to square up and maybe enough for a miss cut. If you can use the scraps in something else go ahead and get a half yard.

Jim's Gem 08-10-2009 10:20 AM

I usually buy at least a quarter to a half yard extra fabric. I have done a few of those cuts where I would cut one strip 1/2" short and the next 1/2" too much and have to cut an extra strip or two to make up for it. Hate not having enough of the fabric to get the job done!!1

MsSage 08-10-2009 12:30 PM

I buy extra cuz you can always use it for a scrappy.
I have NEVER remeasured fabric when I got home.....For my LQS I never would I trust her and I watch and she is really good about the way she cuts so I guess i am lucky.
I get extra and tell her cuz I KNOW I will make a mistake cutting. :D

As Teri says you gotta build your stash somehow ;)

butterflywing 08-10-2009 12:57 PM

i always buy extra on spec. now i know what to do with the extra: make a scrappy log cabin. :P

mytwopals 08-10-2009 01:00 PM

I don't believe, I've ever purchased less than 1 yard. And I always buy more than my project requires by rounding up the yardage.