Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   If you are not selling your quilts, what do you do with all your quilts that you hav? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/if-you-not-selling-your-quilts-what-do-you-do-all-your-quilts-you-hav-t209310.html)

joym 12-26-2012 01:32 PM

If you are not selling your quilts, what do you do with all your quilts that you hav?

I am a fabric horder. I love fabric. And I love, love, love to make quilts. I am from a very small family and they all have quilts. I have donated many, many ,many quilts and knitted/crochet blankets. I have a small house and hard to find a place to display so many. I would really like to sell them as I could use the money....but not tech savvy. I could even barter. Anyone in the same predicament as me? Any suggestions or comments will be welcomed.
HAPPY NEW YEAR to all.

GrannieAnnie 12-26-2012 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by joym (Post 5741759)
I am a fabric horder. I love fabric. And I love, love, love to make quilts. I am from a very small family and they all have quilts. I have donated many, many ,many quilts and knitted/crochet blankets. I have a small house and hard to find a place to display so many. I would really like to sell them as I could use the money....but not tech savvy. I could even barter. Anyone in the same predicament as me? Any suggestions or comments will be welcomed.
HAPPY NEW YEAR to all.

I do all sorts of sewing---------and most of it goes to someone else. Got a long list of stuff to do even now

nhweaver 12-26-2012 01:39 PM

I make baby quilts for friends babies, grandbabies. I have 11 grandkids, and they have baby quilts, kids quilts, and I have started on college quilts. 3 in college, 1 graduating in May, so there is a quilt that I put together for her to begin in January. I make quilts for new houses, new marriages, - I never can make enough quilts, as it takes me a long time. As I have grown in experience, my blocks have become more involved. So many quilt ideas, so little time.

ArtsyOne 12-26-2012 01:50 PM

My understanding (although I haven't tried it myself) is that Etsy listings are free.

Jingle 12-26-2012 02:02 PM

I have given away so many quilts to family, friends and people I don't know, some have more than a few. Now I just keep making them, my Daughter and Granddaughter will have to get rid of them when I'm gone. I am trying to use up some of my huge stash. By end of this year I will have made 17 this year alone. I have some left from previous years. I store them where ever I can find room for them.

carolaug 12-26-2012 02:10 PM

I am also finding now that I have made so many quilts...to try harder ones. I also love making the small quilts for babies for their car seats....so easy and small. smaller than baby quilts.

Mitch's mom 12-26-2012 02:18 PM

Advertise on Craigslist or you local paper that you will make custom quilts and mention that you can make baby quilts for baby showers and quilts for kids to take to day care. People hear quilt and they automatically think bed size instead of crib size.

barbo117 12-26-2012 02:22 PM

I am basically in the same boat, but my problem is that I can't seem to part with the quilts that I make. Have some family that I could givn some too but when it gets time to part with them, I can't do it. So much of myself go into these quilts that it is like giving a part of myself away. I am the same way with my woodworking and wood crafts. I guess I am just selfish, going to have to try to work on that in 2013! You could try selling one or two on ebay at a price that you feel would be fair, see how it works out and then go from there. Good luck!

paulswalia 12-26-2012 02:28 PM

If you can bear to not get what your time is really worth, then selling is an option, either thru Etsy or Craig's list. Or you could try craft fairs. There is a store in our town that takes crafts on consignment - I've considered taking some there. But the bottom line is that nobody will pay what a quilt is really worth. If you figure 8 yards in a queen top, the same in the backing plus batting plus thread........well, you get the picture.

LoupEsprit 12-26-2012 02:30 PM

Etsy isn't free, but it's close! 20cents to list, 20cents when your item sells. MUCH cheaper than Ebay!! It's pretty user friendly, too. And there are tons of teams to walk you through getting started.