Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   If you were to replace your rotary cutter.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/if-you-were-replace-your-rotary-cutter-t220232.html)

quiltstringz 04-29-2013 06:25 AM

If you go to a LQS see what they use. Take some fabric with you and they will probably let you try it out. If you have friends with different cutters, see if you can try them out. What works for one person doesn't always work for the next. Just remember if you end up finding one you like to see if they carry it at Joann's then you can use a coupon!!!! I'm not dising the LQS, but I spend my money in there on fabric and get my notions on sale if I can.

QuiltingCrazie 04-29-2013 07:07 AM

Olfa for me! I gave my fiskers one away.

KalamaQuilts 04-29-2013 07:52 AM

Olfa 45 curved handle
I've tried them all, the straight handle ones create a carpal tunnel opportunity
The fiskers and the martelli both seem flimsy and the blades wobble.

Suzette316 04-29-2013 08:35 AM

I have used only Fiskars for about sixteen years now and have never even thought about changing. They work great and don't cost an arm and a leg. (I still have my original cutter that I bought when I first started quilting. It still works great, but they changed the design a bit a while back, so I bought a newer 45 mm version and a 60 mm cutter - love them all!) But that's not to say I wouldn't love Olfa or another brand, I just have never had the need to change to try them. :)

Quilterfay 04-29-2013 09:58 AM

I was in a junk shop at the Arizona market in Yuma where I picked up a rotary cutter for like 5.00. You have to squeeze it to make it work and I really like it. I also have the fisker cutter where u lock the blade out. This has been my cutter for years. When i worked in the fabric store I used the Oafa cutter and I liked that as well. I tried those egeronomic red ones I wasn't fussy about it.

Basically any cutter is good as long as it has a sharpe blade in it.

chips88 04-29-2013 10:15 AM

i have a fiskars and the cutting edge both 45. love them.

nygal 04-29-2013 10:19 AM

I will tell you what I won't buy again. I bought a Fons And Porter one and I am not crazy about it.

icul8rg8r 04-29-2013 10:23 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I wonder if I go to a LQS to try some cutters, will they allow me to also bring along my ShapeCut Plus ruler? I want to make sure the cutter will work with my favorite ruler! And if the shop goes to all that trouble to allow me to play, bring my own fabric & rulers to test, I'll probably just buy from them.

quiltstringz 04-29-2013 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by icul8rg8r (Post 6034041)
Thanks for all the suggestions. I wonder if I go to a LQS to try some cutters, will they allow me to also bring along my ShapeCut Plus ruler? I want to make sure the cutter will work with my favorite ruler! And if the shop goes to all that trouble to allow me to play, bring my own fabric & rulers to test, I'll probably just buy from them.

I am sure if you take your own fabric they probably will! I think this is a great idea, I really wish there were more places to "test drive" a notion before you buy. If you like it, it is well worth the $ but if it doesn't work for you it is a waste. Hoever never throw quilting tools that don't work for you out (unless they aren't safe) - try giving to friends, a guild or your local Senior Center. Good Luck!

isewman 04-29-2013 11:03 AM

I have 2 of the olfa 45. And 1 of the smaller olfa(?). I use these 3 most of the time. I have 1 of those 45 eurogonics(sp), and used it once, maybe twice. Getting use to cutting with it that euro, just hasn't got me in the mood to use it, yet.