Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   If you've had experienced prewashing your batting..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/if-youve-had-experienced-prewashing-your-batting-t19273.html)

Ethel A 04-21-2009 11:47 AM

If you've ever prewashed your batting, have you ironed it previous to using it? Is it necessary to do this?

I am thinking of dunking my batting in the bath-tub to let it pre-shrink; then throwing it in the dryer with some towels. I don't know if it will come out wrinkly.

Is there a good method of doing this? Will I need to iron it after I take it out of the dryer?

I plan to take the batting along with everything else to the LQS to have them quilt it on their long-arm machine.

Thanks, in advance, for any advice.

key4unc 04-21-2009 11:52 AM

I have just misted by batting with water and threw it in the dryer. I don't know if I'd put it in with towels. Towels produce a lot of lint and I wouldn't want that attaching to my batting. If you take it out of the dryer while it's still warm, you can lay it out on your bed to cool and you shouldn't need to iron it.

Queen 04-21-2009 12:07 PM

I prewash my batting in the washing machine. I fill the tub full of water and let it soak for 20 minutes, spin it out and throw it in the dryer by itself until it is almost dry and then lay it out on the spare bed. I don't have a problem with wrinkles.
'
Mary

MadQuilter 04-21-2009 12:08 PM

Long time ago when "warm and natural" still had a lot of impurities, I used to soak (not agitate) the batting and then spin it and machine dry it.

I never had any problems. Now, if it is wrinkled, I hang it over the banister to release the wrinkles or I toss it in the dryer with a damp towel.

Butterfli19 04-21-2009 03:38 PM

Funny...in another thread we were talking about prewashing fabric and batting.

I just washed my Warm and Natural in the washing machine, gentle cycle, warm water, tiny drop of liquid detergent, and then dried it, high heat, in the dryer. About 40 minutes for 2 yards. It came out wonderful. Bright and fluffy, no wrinkles, not out of shape. Then, I read the paper that came with it, and it says basically the opposite. Oh well.

I originally thought I'd wash it the way I'd wash a quilt. If it couldn't handle it outside it may eventually have a problem inside. But...no problem!

kluedesigns 04-21-2009 03:43 PM

i do the same thing as mary - i soak it in the machine, spin it, and then dry it in the dryer.

i've never had to iron it - i just smooth it and use it.

katier825 04-21-2009 04:18 PM

I haven't pre-washed it, but did iron it. The Warm & Natural/Warm & White irons really nice...it got rid of all the creases!

kathy 04-21-2009 05:53 PM

I'm surprised that the agitation didn't make it come apart, I think you were lucky that time. I soak and spin , agitated once, accidently, I had a tub of loose cotton. I also put a wool batt in the dryer, ONE time. I had hand quilted it for my father in law, I enjoyed every stitch, it quilted like a dream. The wash was okay but should have lined dried it.