Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I'm crying (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/im-crying-t81247.html)

chaskaquilter 12-07-2010 11:45 AM

I made my daughter a quilt based on a Gee's Bend quilt. It was a kit using hand dyed fabrics. I washed all fabrics in Retayne before sewing it together. Then today I washed the completed quilt using cold water, gentle cycle and two dye retention sheets that you put into the washer. I did that twice because the first time I took the quilt out of the washer to line dry it, I saw some red had run onto the beige strip on one side. I am going to dry it and see how bad it looks then as the second washing didn't help at all. It is a Christmas gift for her. I am so sad.

quilt queen 2 12-07-2010 12:00 PM

Did you try Color Catchers in the wash?

Iluv2quilt 12-07-2010 12:02 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you, maybe the second wash will help.

amma 12-07-2010 12:02 PM

I am so sorry this happened (((HUGS)))

Candace 12-07-2010 12:13 PM

You prewashed the fabrics then used Retayne? If the area is small maybe it can be patched or appliqued? Rats...

BellaBoo 12-07-2010 12:20 PM

I don't like hand dyed fabric for this very reason. The dyes aren't set. I don't know if it is the chemicals being used by home dyers but they sure don't work to stop the bleeding. I bought some beautiful hand dyed fat quarters from Paducah Quilt Show and they bled until almost all the color was gone from the fabric. I guess if using for art or wall hangings only the hand dyed would be okay but for the price I'd rather buy commercial dyed.

Japonica 12-07-2010 12:36 PM

Oh, I'm sorry!!!!!

dunster 12-07-2010 12:48 PM

You could try washing again in Synthrapol. It *might* help. When you washed the first time, did you continue to wash until the rinse water was clear? That's important, since one washing doesn't always do the job.

ArtisticDesign 12-07-2010 01:04 PM

ahh bummer, I'm so sorry,
If nothing will fix it in the wash...I would seriously consider trying to match that miss hap red with a little fabric paint.. And lightly streak the other biege pieces ( or where ever it ran on to)Make it look like it was done on purpose, before I gave up...Or applique/s, something..

If you do decide to go for the paint...I'd get the closest red and also pick up a black and a white paint. To mix in if you need to darken and or lighten to match... You can also add a little yellow to warm up the red or a little blue to cool it...

twospoiledhuskies 12-08-2010 05:40 AM

I got rusty water spots on my light pink/green quilt (was a gift as well). Made a paste out of oxy. One spot came out great first treament. The big one took 3 treatments, buttttt all came out beautifully. Can't even tell it was there.

I love this stuff. I've never written a letter to any company, but if I did, it would be this one. Love Love

Good luck, hope it comes out :-D