Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I'm doing research for when I get a new machine... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/im-doing-research-when-i-get-new-machine-t3840.html)

barnbum 01-01-2008 05:47 PM

It will be awhile--so it gives me lots of research time. I don't like new stuff--cars, computers, coffee makers... :roll: so it will be tricky to ever have to adjust to a new machine.

BUT--I'd like to be able to quilt easier--and bigger projects.

There are so many options. I can't imagine needing many stitch choices--10 is fine. :-) And I don't care if it's computerized either. I just want a bigger throat area (did I say that right?) to quilt with ease.

Price--as low as possible. Maybe $500-$1000?

And you say....?????

Moonpi 01-01-2008 06:28 PM

When I was looking, there were some nice Janomes for quilting in that price range. There are also package deals available with extra accessories.

annmarie 01-01-2008 09:17 PM

I have a Bernina Artista 240 that everyone insisted was the best. But I tell you, I'd do more research the next time. Changing the bobbin is a major task for me. I'm practically standing on my head & then it still falls out sometimes with my first stitch. Next time my first requirement will be a drop in bobbin. Second would be a wide throat. I'd check out what Eleanor Burns uses. I watch her on PBS on Sat. mornings & I think she has what I want.

Shadow Dancer 01-01-2008 09:24 PM

I have found in my research that the machines with the larger throat area are in the high end range.... I also have a machine that is drop in bobbin and won't ever go back to one that loads under the machine. That one feature is what changed my mind about buying the Pfaff I was looking at.

marieg 01-02-2008 11:54 AM

Hi, I have a Pfaff 2056, so little more expensive. I've done lots of Holiday quilts and wall hangings for my kids (and a few stay with me). I couldn't hand applique or do a blanket stitch on them. My 2056 has a stitch which immitates that. I know other machines do that and are less expensive, also free moition is a plus in my book. marie

ButtercreamCakeArtist 01-02-2008 02:49 PM

I can no longer recommend a Brother.

barnbum 01-02-2008 03:01 PM

I'm compiling this info for future reference--keep it coming. :D

alix 01-02-2008 07:14 PM

Hi, I'm new to the forum and a newish quilter as well, I have the pfaff 2056 and find it an excellent all around machine. I do think the IDT makes a big difference. My experience with pfaff as been a dream but alot of people I spoke to recommended viking as well. the viking has the drop in bobbin and i think the newer ones sport a bigger throat but cost more. I think it comes down to personal taste try them out in store until you are sure- good luck

barnbum 01-02-2008 07:25 PM

alix--what's IDT?

alix 01-02-2008 08:38 PM

It stands for integrated dual feed, it has the similar effect as a walking foot except you have that action of the top and bottom feeding the fabric evenly as part of the machine itself as opposed to having it only when you have the walking foot on. for me as a reasonably new sewer it means alot less to think about and smoother even stiches with multiple layers. You don't need a walking foot for quilting and Iused the - i think its narrow edge foot - makes stich in the ditch heaps easier. I think other brands say they have something similar but so far as i know pfaff has it as one of their main features