Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I'm haunted by vintage sewing machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/im-haunted-vintage-sewing-machines-t199089.html)

Sewnoma 08-30-2012 09:26 AM

I'm haunted by vintage sewing machines

I keep seeing vintage sewing machines everywhere now. On TV, and in every thrift/charity shop in town.

One shop right down the road has a Singer clone (erroneously marked as a Singer) for $100. Seems to work (moves freely, tag says tested & working), has lots of bobbins and accessories and a nice curved wooden case...but it's beat to heck, decals are worn nearly off, and not at all pretty so I passed. But it keeps on calling to me anyway, even though I really don't have any place to put it or any use for it and it's not pretty enough for me to want to display it. Craziness!! I hope someone else hurries up and buys it!!

I told myself that if I find one that's just so pretty I have to have it, that's okay. I'll buy it. OR if I find an old working Pfaff 332 just like the one Grandma taught me to sew on, I'd definitely buy that. I know I can find them on ebay, but I figure I will wait for one to come to me.

Anybody else haunted by cool old machines that you just can't have? Even the funky plastic-body turquoise blue ones from the 70's appeal to me. I wish I had a 4,000 square foot house or a giant old barn so I could collect all the neat stuff I'm always getting a hankering for. I could totally become one of "those people" you see on the "picker" shows, LOL.

quiltingcandy 08-30-2012 09:31 AM

Maybe if you offer 50% and they accept it, then it is meant to be yours. If not, then it will need to go home with someone else. It could make a good back up or if you know someone that needs a back up - how many machines do you currently own?

Sewnoma 08-30-2012 09:40 AM

Hehe, I have three! My 20 year old Kenmore (which still works great but weighs a ton and is a very basic, no bells or whistles machine), a lightweight Brother CS6000i (which has lots of nice features and weighs nothing...which is actually a problem) and my "baby", a Janome 6600. I really don't NEED another machine, not at all. I have backups for my backups. I just WANT one, because they're ...well, they're just neat!

I almost would prefer to find one that is really pretty but doesn't work...that way I won't feel guilty for just setting it up on a shelf somewhere as eye candy. I have a "thing" for old tools and old machines...I think a lovely old sewing machine would look great in my living room, right next to my old hand drills, oil cans and wrenches. LOL

QuiltnNan 08-30-2012 09:51 AM

in case you weren't aware, we have a forum for vintage machines here http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...thusiasts-f22/

annthreecats 08-30-2012 09:54 AM

I have had four machines (three vintage Singers) given to me because I think I'm the only person who sews at my job. Co-workers just want to get rid of them and ask me if I want them. How can I refuse?

Tashana 08-30-2012 04:04 PM

I am very much haunted by old Singers especially treadles. I have just bought one. It is a sentimental thing. I want to save them all!

MattieMae 08-30-2012 04:34 PM

I've already got my share of oldies but goodies. I wish someone would tell me when "vintage" turns into "antique." I saw an ebay ad for an "Antique Pfaff 7570." I assumed this was from a twenty-something lister. I like to think my FW's are vintage, but I guess they may be antique......:(

Carol Jean 08-30-2012 04:42 PM

I have a lot of old vintage sewing machine that I had to quit buying them. They are the all metal ones-they always have a special place as a quilter and sewer.

quiltingweb 08-30-2012 05:03 PM

I've put a limit of $25 on myself. If it's more than $25, I won't even consider it. I've gotten a few machines for free and they are great machines. I am tempted, but it's the old, neglected ones that need me...did I just say that? OK, I may have a problem

Stitchnripper 08-30-2012 05:12 PM

I love the vintage machines. I have 5 of them. Sometimes when I have a minute and am finished here, I go to ebay and look at what they are selling, just for fun.