Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I'm learning a lesson, but what is it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/im-learning-lesson-but-what-t14744.html)

Bill'sBonBon 12-26-2008 08:22 AM

Wow!!! Thanks to all of you. A problem I have had several times is now taken care of.
Bill'sBonBon

Chef_Beth 12-26-2008 10:35 AM

If you can adjust the presser foot as to how hard it presses down on the fabric as it passes under it, it can help too. I usually adjust my presser foot a tad higher when dealing with unco-operative fabrics! Especially flannels, or slippery fabrics that don't grab each other. All sorts of useful remedies here! This is such a neat board!

Rose Marie 12-26-2008 11:50 AM

So far have not had that problem but I press my fabric before I cut not after. I am carefull not to pull just lay the border on top and sew. Some fabrics may stretch more than others.
I do stretch my binding a little as I sew it on per El Burns and it always works out well.

littlehud 12-26-2008 02:04 PM

I found out the hard way it pays to use a walking foot to put on the binding. My first wall hanging (OK, I just made it a couple months ago LOL) has a wavy, rippled edge because the fabric stretched. I was going to rip it out and redo it but my youngest came in, took one look, and said "That is so cool the way you made the rippled effect. I love it. " I left it the way it was and think of that wonderful girl every time I look at it. But from now on I'm using my walking foot.
:D :D :D :D :D

Carol W 12-27-2008 07:27 AM

Thanks for all the tips.

Rose Marie 12-27-2008 09:56 AM

Yes do use a walking foot, much needed for the first sewing on of the binding. I dont use it for the second sewing, for that I use my stitch in the ditch foot. It makes a big difference if you are like me and cant seem to sew a straight line.

Shelley 12-27-2008 04:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Measure thrice, cut once.

If you measure down the middle of the quilt, cut your strips, pin them on, matching the centers and quarter marks (and any others too) you will be much happier when it comes time to quilt.

If you sew on, then trim, you will end up with what we call "friendly" borders, they "wave" at you.

This quilt had 4 extra inches on one side, 5 on the other. I had to take several tucks.

sandpat 12-27-2008 05:36 PM

See...I did learn something! I had friendly borders! Now I guess they aren't that happy because they don't wave anymore. :lol: :lol:

Thank you all so much..you can see the top I was working on ..I'm going to post under "Heartsongs"..top finally finished!

patricej 12-28-2008 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Shelley
Measure thrice, cut once.

If you measure down the middle of the quilt, cut your strips, pin them on, matching the centers and quarter marks (and any others too) you will be much happier when it comes time to quilt.

If you sew on, then trim, you will end up with what we call "friendly" borders, they "wave" at you.

This quilt had 4 extra inches on one side, 5 on the other. I had to take several tucks.

i promise i'm not being snippy. cross my heart. but when i say i cut extra long strips, i mean that i don't worry about matching the ends to the edges of the quilt. once all four sides are done, i mitre - or otherwise join - the strips at the corners and then trim off the extra once i have it squared.

sandpat 12-28-2008 06:12 AM

I know what you mean Patrice. I cut longer when I want to miter. Heck, I cut longer when I was just making a block type corner also. I had never had a problem doing it. This time I did. I think I'll start cutting them to the correct length if I doing it the block style..just to avoid the problem and I'll start pinning more too. Maybe it was because the borders I was doing were pretty narrow. However..I did a set of 3...and only had a problem with 1 color. Funny...the pattern was the exact same, just a different color. :lol: