Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Im looking for a new machine, fmq, strong powerful, for all kinds of sewing. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/im-looking-new-machine-fmq-strong-powerful-all-kinds-sewing-t176186.html)

nanbue 01-19-2012 07:06 AM

Im looking for a new machine, fmq, strong powerful, for all kinds of sewing.

Im looking at both the Janome 7700, Horizon and the 6600
feed back, experience, good, bad and ugly Or another?

Thanks so much
Nancy

Daffy Daphne 01-19-2012 07:48 AM

After enjoying mine for 18 months, I highly recommend the Janome 7700. I've sewn a good variety of projects and it has handled all of them well. The extra harp space is a big plus.

Wintersewer 01-19-2012 07:52 AM

I love my 6600. The 7700 has a larger bed, by several inches and if I could afford it I would buy that one.

nanbue 01-19-2012 08:54 AM

Daffy D.
Hi, thanks for the input, question, When I was testing the 7700 yesterday, using the new quarter inch foot the machine could not go over the seam. It was alarming. New needle pressure at auto default. Someone on the yahoo group said she puts the pressure at 4 and there is not problem. Could you tell me what your findings are in this regard.
12 layers of a triangle six inch patch where all seams meet in the middle. Other then that I and the fact that you have to wheel your way though the menu to change a stitch, I thought the machine was fantastic. Very heavy. Have to keep working out to handle it. :) Thanks so much. Nancy in NY

nanbue 01-19-2012 08:55 AM

Im testing them side by side today.
Nancy in NY

CarolinePaj 01-19-2012 09:06 AM

I have a Janome 7700 and I love it..... but I have to say that my Bernina Aurora 630 is a darling!!!!

Hugs

Caroline

Daffy Daphne 01-19-2012 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by nanbue (Post 4889994)
Daffy D.
Hi, thanks for the input, question, When I was testing the 7700 yesterday, using the new quarter inch foot the machine could not go over the seam. It was alarming. New needle pressure at auto default. Someone on the yahoo group said she puts the pressure at 4 and there is not problem. Could you tell me what your findings are in this regard.
12 layers of a triangle six inch patch where all seams meet in the middle. Other then that I and the fact that you have to wheel your way though the menu to change a stitch, I thought the machine was fantastic. Very heavy. Have to keep working out to handle it. :) Thanks so much. Nancy in NY

Nancy,

I believe the dealer needs to make some kind of adjustment in the machine you were trying out, possibly an adjustment to the feed dogs. Be sure to point out to him the trouble you were having.

My 7700 sews over thick seam intersections beautifully.

Daffy

QuiltE 01-19-2012 10:41 AM

I have the 6600 and am more than happy. I've sewn many miles ... and gone over many many layers of fabric and multi seams while doing the FWS blocks and never had issues!!! (well, other than operator issues. Different Story!) I know I could never have done the sewing so easily and smoothly with my previous machine.

Perhaps within time, I'll wish I had the 7700 or Horizon with the wider bed, though for now, I've done very little quilting, and no large quilts.

Compare the specs of each machine and see what they offer ... and what you want/need! Is there room for your own skills growth and future needs?

I forget now, though I know there is something that the 6600 has that the 7700 does not ... yes 7700 is the higher end machine, but the dealer pointed out one thing as not being there.

Jacki 01-19-2012 12:56 PM

Hello from England - I bought the 7700 about a year ago at a show. It's not the machine I thought it would be - I work them very hard and thought that, being designed for quilting, it would be more robust. So far the auto tension is iffy, the machine is quite noisy and after only 9 months it began breaking thread and missing stitches because it needed more cleaning than the basic. I thought I would invalidate my guarantee if I tried anything ambitious re cleaning. It's a lovely size and I do use it a lot but it will never be the work horse that its predecessor was (sadly traded in). Sorry - terribly negative but you did ask!! Regards, Jacki

TanyaL 01-19-2012 01:04 PM

I would definitely check into the higher end Brother machines with a dealer, not online.