Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   incorporating thread crochet into quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/incorporating-thread-crochet-into-quilting-t123490.html)

Wonnie 05-16-2011 08:41 AM

I LOVE to thread crochet and I LOVE to quilt. Has anyone had any luck incorporating both and, if so, how?

QuiltE 05-16-2011 08:46 AM

What are you thinking of using ... round doilies? or strips of lace-like crochet?

Haven't done it ... though have some work that might be candidates! so am curious what the wise ones have to say!

Would think we'd overlay it on fabric and need to sew it in place when assembling the quilt ... hand sew? or machine?

jeaninmaine 05-16-2011 08:49 AM

If you're doing any kind of crazy quilting, you can make all kinds of embellishments with thread crochet. I have a book of Christmas ornaments that includes a great fan and a few other things that if I make them in ecru will be great for on a crazy quilt, and there are tons of patterns for flowers and leaves, butterflies, dragonflies, spiders, etc that done in thread would be beautiful. And don't forget lace edging for along a seam.

bj 05-16-2011 08:49 AM

I've seen crazy quilts and quilted pillows with doilies incorporated into them.

Wonnie 05-16-2011 08:54 AM

Don't really know. Thought about the possibility of inserting a straight crocheted edging into a seam and around a block(???) Also, entertained the idea of a small round doily inside of a plain quilt block.....also, thought about inserting a straight edging around perimeter of a quilt similar to the way they insert large rickrack or around one inside border. Just looking for something different and unique.

Wonnie 05-16-2011 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by bj

I'm wondering how they would wash ....would the doily shrink more than the quilt fabric? Would you tack just the outside edges I wonder ...or (???)

QuiltE 05-16-2011 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Wonnie

Originally Posted by bj

I'm wondering how they would wash ....would the doily shrink more than the quilt fabric? Would you tack just the outside edges I wonder ...or (???)

Shrink it first!
(the old pre-wash/shrink argument starts again!!!:))

... I'm thinking if we got it stabilized well when assembling, it would help. Minimal machine stitching with a lot of hand stitching, which if done carefully would be pretty much invisible.

Wonnie 05-16-2011 09:28 AM

Yes, you're right . Don't as a rule shrink my quilting fabric but would have to in this case. The thread crochet edging I would probably wash in hot water to shrink it's maximum prior to insertion because the thread crochet shrinks a LOT more than the fabric. Just thought it would make a very romantic, maybe just throw if used with a floral fabric.

Evie 05-16-2011 09:30 AM

Looking forward to the suggestions. My mom left dozens of crocheted pieces. My sisters and nieces and I have taken what we want, but the others are there yet to be put to use. Thought about incorporating them into quilts, but how?

Holice 05-16-2011 09:33 AM

There is a book about this. Can't remember the name now or the author. She cut the linens with lace, doilies etc into 1/4 and inserted them into the corners of squares like fans. I have also seen Grandmothers Fan quilts with the lace on the outer edge.