Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Incredible workshop with Marci Baker (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/incredible-workshop-marci-baker-t40954.html)

isnthatodd 03-28-2010 06:13 AM

Yesterday I had the privilege of attending a 7 1/2 hour workshop with Marci Baker of Alicia's Attic. It was my first actual class in quilting, altho I've been quilting for about 45 years. We spent about 2 hours learning about rotary cutting materials and procedures! I can't believe how much simpler it can be than what I have been doing. We also had a great lesson on ironing. It really makes a difference when you can watch someone do it in person, try it yourself, and have immediate feedback.

As soon as I got home, I headed out to the store to get a new shorter ruler and a new seam ripper. I still need to get a new iron and a couple of specialty products for the ruler.

She has a lot of youtube videos that you can access from her website. www.aliciasattic.com

One of her big ideas is how to make tumbling blocks without having to do y-seams. We are making a queensize quilt in blues and dark reds with this method. I am really excited about it.

DebraK 03-28-2010 06:20 AM

How cool! I've yet to do a class. I'm glad your class was a good one. What kind of seam ripper did you buy?

isnthatodd 03-28-2010 06:21 AM

The Fons and Porter ergonomic one. I got it mainly because of the very thin top. I am in the middle of a Downy quilt, and have to rip about 16 inches of border quilting, so this should help.

DebraK 03-28-2010 06:28 AM

Thank you. I made the mistake of buying one made by Singer because I had a coupon, but I was looking at the handle instead of the blade. The blade was much to big. I went to the site you listed, and I think I'll try some of that gripper stuff.

gailmitchell 03-28-2010 06:50 AM

Glad you shared your experience. I watched a couple of videos. They are definitely great. I particularly enjoyed the video on doing an edge for the grandmothers garden quilt. I think I need some of those edge Thanks for sharing. I really like how she demonstrated the Qtools products in some of the other videos. I'm going to buy some.

gailmitchell 03-28-2010 06:50 AM

It looks like a clover seam ripper in the video. I have one that I love.

littlehud 03-28-2010 07:46 AM

That sounds like it was so much fun. How do you make tumbling blocks without a Y seam. I'm curious.

BellaBoo 03-28-2010 07:50 AM

Did you know the F&P seam ripper rubber handle pulls the threads from the seam after you rip them? It's great when for a long run of tiny thread pieces you have to pull out one by one. Try it!

jean knapp 03-28-2010 08:16 AM

How wondeful. I have been looking at her web site and finally sent and got the Big Blocks book along with the ruler. I want to make the hollow block. I have to wait until our kids leave from there week visit to get started. GUess it will be along week. Jean

craftybear 03-28-2010 08:47 AM

Awesome, where did you take your class at? As I have a friend in the Dallas area that wants to take some quilting classes. Thanks for sharing!