Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   inexpensive embroidery machine for alphabet only? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/inexpensive-embroidery-machine-alphabet-only-t78772.html)

Marcia_PA 11-26-2010 07:13 AM

I have a Janome 6600 but the alphabet letters available on the machine are small. I'm not interested in an expensive embroidery machine but I would like to be able to monogram or add names to quilted/sewn items. Any suggestions for an inexpensive machine that can embroider larger letters--maybe up to an inch tall--and do a good job of it?

Thanks for suggestions.

kathy 11-26-2010 07:19 AM

I don't know what you consider inexpensive but I paid almost $500 for my Singer Futura and I love it!

dojo36 11-26-2010 07:21 AM

i have the janome 350E embroidery machine, of course you may not want to spend that much. but if you have a dealer in your area, you could possibly get a used one. also try ebay and craigslist. i found one on ebay for a friend.

karen65ae 11-26-2010 07:41 AM

Funny you should ask this question because I am debating whether to get a embroidery machine mainly for the alphabet . I have a Janome 6600 also......
Will be interesting to see other suggestions.

Up North 11-26-2010 07:47 AM

I have a brother SE350 less than $400.00 and it does awsome monograms. Have done towels for the kids.
It is both sewing machine and embroidery.

RkayD 11-26-2010 08:41 AM

Got to your dealer and see what they have in the way of used machines..if thats all you want to use it for you should be able to get one for a steal. =)

LindaR 11-26-2010 09:02 AM

the brother 270D is a really inexpensive machine and it does have the alphabet...look on ebay, bet you can get on for less than $200....I paid 300.00 on overstock and 3.00 shipping>>>>

wolfkitty 11-26-2010 11:34 AM

Walmart has Brother SQ9000 that does letters for $199.99.

fmd36 11-26-2010 11:53 AM

My suggestion: please get a demonstration before you buy. If possible stitch on it. Look for good underlay stitches from the machine. How many different alphas do you want? Also remember you may want dealer support or a good technician. I have 2 emb. machines(old but they suite me fine) I am in the market for a good sewing machine...want to upgrade from my very basic Janome. May shop in Maine because I am not especially happy with the local dealers in NH. Anyone here know about Tony's in Maine?

Originally Posted by Marcia_PA
I have a Janome 6600 but the alphabet letters available on the machine are small. I'm not interested in an expensive embroidery machine but I would like to be able to monogram or add names to quilted/sewn items. Any suggestions for an inexpensive machine that can embroider larger letters--maybe up to an inch tall--and do a good job of it?

Thanks for suggestions.

DebbyT 11-26-2010 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Up North
I have a brother SE350 less than $400.00 and it does awsome monograms. Have done towels for the kids.
It is both sewing machine and embroidery.

Ditto! I have one of these and agree. I have put kids names on girl scout uniforms/vests. Quite popular. On the bigger letters you have to move the hoop.