Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   inexpensive fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/inexpensive-fabric-t45016.html)

sara619 05-05-2010 01:07 PM

I teach quilting at a local senior center. anyway our walmart store is getting rid of the fabric dept. and I was wondering if anyone had a reasonably inexpensive fabric web site where they could purchase fabric? Thanks in advance

LucyInTheSky 05-05-2010 01:08 PM

Connecting Threads.com usually has good deals and is cheap

sharon b 05-05-2010 01:50 PM

Do you have a Joanns or Hancocks close by ? They run good sales if you keep an eye open

Oklahoma Suzie 05-05-2010 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
Connecting Threads.com usually has good deals and is cheap

I agree.

Margie 05-05-2010 01:59 PM

I think Eleanor Burns(Quilt in a Day) has really beautiful fabrics and good prices on the sales. I have never been disappointed.

Margie

ann clare 05-05-2010 02:00 PM

What about the thrift shops or putting an advertisment in the local shop looking for fabric. Poeple often want to declutter but like to see where their stuff will end up.

I go To The Sea To Breathe 05-05-2010 02:04 PM

What is wrong with these fabric manufactures? I was in Sioux City, IA a couple of weeks agao and only fabrics, was 1 row at Walmart, Michaels or Hobby Lobby. I did find a lady at the goodwill that knew of a granny that sold fabric . She gave me directions and said she would be there if I came out, but I never did find her and I didn't have her phone number with me. We have 2 LQS in our town and a small amt of cotton at Walmart and Michaels and Hobby Lobby. Oh and a Hancock. Do the manufactures want people to not sew?

TanyaMas 05-05-2010 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by I come to the sea to breathe
What is wrong with these fabric manufactures? I was in Sioux City, IA a couple of weeks agao and only fabrics, was 1 row at Walmart, Michaels or Hobby Lobby. I did find a lady at the goodwill that knew of a granny that sold fabric . She gave me directions and said she would be there if I came out, but I never did find her and I didn't have her phone number with me. We have 2 LQS in our town and a small amt of cotton at Walmart and Michaels and Hobby Lobby. Oh and a Hancock. Do the manufactures want people to not sew?

Its not the fabric manufacturers.... its the stores...
corporation Walmart has decided they do no make enough profits on fabric.

Dagny 05-05-2010 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by sara619
I teach quilting at a local senior center. anyway our walmart store is getting rid of the fabric dept. and I was wondering if anyone had a reasonably inexpensive fabric web site where they could purchase fabric? Thanks in advance

I was responsible for a service project a couple years ago, and after I talked to the manager at the local Joann's, she was very generous in giving the group extra discount coupons every week. You might want to ask.

patricej 05-05-2010 02:32 PM

step 1 is to set your per/yard price limit. i've noticed that there is a very wide range between individual members' definitions of the phrase "reasonably priced." what some consider reasonable i consider somewhere between highway robbery and downright obscene. they probably think i'm so cheap my skates won't roll. (they are right.) :lol:

step 2 is to go to fabshophop.com
even when there isn't an active hop going, you may find the list of shops that participated in the most recent online hop.

step 3 is to visit each and every one of those online shops.
when you search diligently you can and will find namebrand fabrics for as little as $2 per yard. (more often, though, between $3 and $4 per yard.)
don't be sucked in by the claims of "always 25% below retail", or other claims along those lines. the "retail" they refer to is usually in the neighborhood of $10 per yard. they are NOT offering you a deal. they are hoping you can't do basic math. :lol:
make a note of which have regular or clearance prices that are within your limit. you can build a list of favorite shops within your fabshophop member area. (as a backup, start a notebook. guess who has lost her list of favorite shops more than once because a computer got a case of the hiccups. :shock: )

when it's time to spend the $$$, start with your list. over time it will grow and your will save piles of money.

i'm off now to comfort my pennies. i've pinched them so hard and so often lately the poor things are bruised and boohooing. :lol: