Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Inflated yardage requirements (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/inflated-yardage-requirements-t133957.html)

Josie208 06-29-2011 03:22 AM

I recently finished a quilt designed for a specific fabric company and had purchased fabric in the amounts the pattern specified for a "quilt top and binding." I had enough fabric left over for the entire backing (pieced) and two pillows front and back! Are the yardage charts just a clever way to have us purchase more of their fabric lines???

blueangel 06-29-2011 03:26 AM

Strange, I've never had that happen

jljquilter 06-29-2011 03:31 AM

I purchased fabric for a pattern from a specfic persons line. I made, from the required fabric -flannel after washing- a queen size quilt and two large laps size quilts. That was from the pieces cut left over by cutting how they specified. The way they had me cutting just involved to much "waste". I do not buy from this line anymore. They got my money for the extra fabric once but not again.

mimom 06-29-2011 03:40 AM

I think the fabric requirements for some patterns are designed for easier directions. I made a Fons and porter quilt that called for so much extra it was pathetic. But I really dont think they could have made the directions understandable if they had you cut the fabric the way I did.

debbieumphress 06-29-2011 03:58 AM

I don't know why the yardage is over estimated but I do know the extras are great for patched backings that have become popular and I'd rather have more than not enough. And good way to promote our loved scrappy quilts too.♥♥

Lori S 06-29-2011 04:06 AM

This issue of the inflated yardage just makes me crazy. One of the reasons I purchase a pattern is for the exact yardage. It just sends me over the edge when I get to the end and have soo.. much more than I really needed. I get that they are sometimes accounting for the difference between 42 - 45inch or want to make sure if you straighten the fabric to cut on grain there may be some loss.... but come on ... there are those who assume that the yardage is exact and then go on to out their own "fudge" factor resulting in even more left over.
I will admit I sometimes purchase a pattern because I just want to get started , and do not want to think too much about the math . A pattern has less of a value to me if I just spent 10 dollars and then have 20 -30 dollars of fabric left over. I have quit buying patterns I can wing it on my own and have less left over.

GingerK 06-29-2011 04:11 AM

I have had the opposite problem. I purchased a kit from a very reputable company's website. Didn't open and measure every piece right away tho. When I got around to making the quilt, about a year later, I found that the kit was short by a significant amount--so much infact, that I had to substitute one piece of fabric completely and recalculate sashing thru-out--I had less than an inch left of the sashing fabric!! I emailed the company and never heard a single word back. Will never ever buy from them again!!

When I'm buying fabric for a pattern, I usually buy a quarter yard extra in case of 'wrong-headed' cutting.

QuiltnNan 06-29-2011 04:13 AM

i don't usually buy/use patterns. however, when i make my quilts, i always buy plenty of fabric. i love the leftovers for my stash :)

SueSew 06-29-2011 04:19 AM

Seems like a clever ploy. I usually but a little extra because I can't make up my mind which fabric will go for that part and then I sometimes (not always any more LOL) have cutting errors.

It may be they want it cut a certain way for straight of grain as opposed to WOF? I have seen a lot of posts here for quilt kits that came short.But maybe it was the vendor's cutting error in your favor
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Jeanniejo 06-29-2011 04:25 AM

I had the same problem with a book I bought. Every pattern called for enough fabric for 2 quilts! After the first one I did my own calculations ! I don't mind a little extra for my stash but at the quilt shop prices I would rather different fabric!! Maybe they have stock in the fabric industry.