Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Input please on Pilot Frixion gel pens for marking (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/input-please-pilot-frixion-gel-pens-marking-t207019.html)

huntersgrammie 11-28-2012 09:17 PM

i think they are fabulous. i have 4 different colors and i use them all. i have demo'd them at different classes and everyone who has seen them have been impressed. they work great. they iron off easy and i have left it on the fabric for weeks and it still has come off cleanly so i wouldn't worry about them at all.

CAS49OR 11-29-2012 10:24 AM

Great point, I never thought about the iron actually setting the ink in, invisible or not, makes sense! I haven't used them except in seam since I ended up with white bleached lines on green cloth.

Originally Posted by brenwalt (Post 5684870)
Yes, I have used them A LOT. BEWARE: that ink is in there forever. Granted, ironing causes it to become transparent but it is still there and should the quilt be i a cold place, the marks will return. There is nothing that will take that ink out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still use Frixion for certain types of marking but I attach a label to the quilt telling the owner that if the quilt becomes cold, the only way to cause the marks to disappear again is to use a hot iron.
If you use a scrap to test the Frixion pen, it may wash out with stain treatment solutions but be warned, once that ink is ironed to cause transparency, there is nothing, and I do mean nothing, that will remove it!!

Joy Higdon 11-29-2012 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose (Post 5681969)
I also use the pens and love how easy it is to iron off the marks....I have seen the lines left on darker fabrics, but don't think it is bleaching the fabric as it does wash out....always test fabrics with the pens to make sure there are no issues....I found them at the LQS in lots of colors, but would love for them to make one in white or at least something that shows on black/dk. brown fabrics.....am quite sure they never imagined their pens being used to mark quilts!

There was a gentleman at the quilt show that sold these pens. I asked him about a white one and he had a white crayon called a Chubby Crayon by Miracle Chalk. It works very well on dark fabrics and irons right off.

117becca 11-29-2012 11:51 AM

Why are people saying that when you wash the frixion, it washes out, and yet people are saying that it will never ever ever be removed from the fabric? My experience is that I used it, ironed it out, washed it, threw it in the freeaer, the marks did not reappear. That seems pretty "gone forever" to me.

QuiltingByCourtney 11-29-2012 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by SouthPStitches (Post 5681889)
Today at my LQS, I was told the above are fantastic to mark your tops for quilting. The LQS carries them but believe you could find them in any office supply store. You can mark you fabric, then either erase or what was suggested is to take a hot iron to the marking. I know, completely different than anything we've been told in the past. The iron removes the marking and it only comes back if the fabric is so cold it could freeze. I bought a couple but I'm a bit skeptical. Will fool around a little on some scrap.

Anyone else heard of or used these pens? Thanks.

- I bought a pen from my LQS and it is black, I don't know the name of it off hand but I use it ALL the time, it goes away with heat! I love it! the lines are nice and dark so I can see them, it glides along in perfect lines, and when I iron they disappear completely and easily! they sell different colors too...I think even a hot dryer will remove the marks but I haven't tried that yet...I would never go back to chalk with these easy wonderful pens around! :) hope it works out for you!

Judi in Ohio 11-29-2012 01:55 PM

Some people think they are ok. Some don't. And some who used to carry them when they vend do not anymore. Does that tell you anything? I do know of one professional, award winning quilting who will never use them or recommend them (The only one who said it to my face), I've heard of others, just not from their mouths. So no frixon's for me.
Judi

gail-r 11-30-2012 05:04 AM

I love them,.

thepolyparrot 11-30-2012 10:44 PM

I love them. I tested the roller ball and highlighter types. I colored patches of each ink on a strip of white fabric, left them to dry, ironed them away, put them in the freezer and some of the color came back.

I washed them in my hands and all traces were gone. They did not come back in freezing. Since I wash virtually all my quilts before giving them away (to fluff and soften them and remove all the starch I use) I am not even a little bit worried about them.

I have tried to find evidence of the ink remaining in laundered quilts under a magnifying glass and even the areas where I used them to lay out guidelines for quilting, there is not a trace. Most of the marking is in the inseam, but I do use them to mark the spines for feathers, or the circles for the base of feather wreaths, etc. I mostly use the highlighter colors for marking for quilting.

I've heard that some of them leave whitish markings on dark fabrics after ironing and I've seen that, too - but never on a hand-washed or machine laundered quilt. :)

grma33 12-01-2012 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingByCourtney (Post 5687868)
- I bought a pen from my LQS and it is black, I don't know the name of it off hand but I use it ALL the time, it goes away with heat! I love it! the lines are nice and dark so I can see them, it glides along in perfect lines, and when I iron they disappear completely and easily! they sell different colors too...I think even a hot dryer will remove the marks but I haven't tried that yet...I would never go back to chalk with these easy wonderful pens around! :) hope it works out for you

i saw these in a quilt store in florida while visiting so whish i had got one if anybody knows the name please tell us.
Thanks Gale

winia 12-01-2012 03:49 AM

Use them all the time. I love them.