Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Interfacing Applique Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/interfacing-applique-question-t209824.html)

Debbie B 01-01-2013 10:25 AM

Interfacing Applique Question

I've done raw applique before, but I'm getting ready to do Interfacing Applique on a quilt. The directions say after sewing the interfacing & applique together that you turn it inside out & press flat. And to press using a non-stick applique pressing sheet. What is a non-stick applique pressing sheet? Can you get it at Joann's or Hobby Lobby? Is there anything that I could use that I might already have...parchment paper or something? Thanks for any help. It's very appreciated.

Peckish 01-01-2013 10:26 AM

You can absolutely use parchment paper. In fact, that's what I prefer. (Just make sure it's parchment and NOT wax paper.)

Some people will recommend you purchase special sheets available at stores, they're made of Teflon.

kathy 01-01-2013 10:35 AM

I would certainly use parchment paper, if you decide you like the technique then it may be worth investing in a nonstick sheet, they're very handy for lots of things

patchsamkim 01-01-2013 10:37 AM

This is the applique pressing sheet that I have...probably bought mine 15 years ago...still as good as new...worth every penny I spent on it. You could use a coupon at Joann's to get one.

http://www.joann.com/the-applique-pr...x17-/prd17579/

Milli 01-01-2013 10:41 AM

Silicone baking sheet works!

Debbie B 01-01-2013 10:44 AM

Thank you for your answers. I'm going to try the parchment paper. There's snow on the ground & cold here in Ohio & it just feels good staying home & quilting. I really like doing applique. I will most likely end up with the pressing sheet from Joann's that Patchsamkim talked about. But, after the snow melts:)

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 01-01-2013 10:49 AM

I have just used a wooden iron on some pieces, too, instead of a sheet of any kind.

And yes the pressing sheet is because the interfacing is an iron on material.

Debbie B 01-01-2013 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by morelcabin (Post 5754795)
Why would you need to use a pressing sheet? Just out of curiousity. I never have. Is it because of the interfacing? I use **used** dryer sheets for most of my smaller applique done this way instead of interfacing...It works very well, is free, and smells wonderful!

I use liquid fabric softener so I don't have any dryer sheets, but I think that's a good idea. The fusible interfacing is iron on & after you have sewn & then turned it right side out the sticky part is on the outside. The instruction say that you need to iron it flat on a non-stick pressing sheet...just to press out the seams & make it flat. Then you can iron it onto your quilt and the sticky side will adhere to the fabric, and then I'll machine stitch the applique. I'm making a log cabin quilt with oak leaves & acorns appliqued around it.

Debbie B 01-01-2013 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter (Post 5754800)
I have just used a wooden iron on some pieces, too, instead of a sheet of any kind.

And yes the pressing sheet is because the interfacing is an iron on material.

Good idea! If the parchment doesn't work for me I will try this.

Peckish 01-01-2013 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by morelcabin (Post 5754795)
Why would you need to use a pressing sheet? Just out of curiousity. I never have. Is it because of the interfacing? I use **used** dryer sheets for most of my smaller applique done this way instead of interfacing...It works very well, is free, and smells wonderful!

She is probably trying to protect her ironing board and iron from the fusible web on the interfacing.

I tried **used** dryer sheets once, and by the time I was halfway through that project I was sick of the smell - so sick, in fact, that I quit using dryer sheets in my laundry at all! Now I prefer to use homemade fabric softener. Lol!