Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Invisible thread help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/invisible-thread-help-t70500.html)

swimchick1984 10-16-2010 12:07 PM

Hello,

Thanks in advance for the help. I am trying to blanket stitch applique with invisible thread. Problem is that the top thread keeps breaking. Please help me!!!!!

KathyAire 10-16-2010 12:09 PM

I've appliqued many times with invisible thread and didn't have a problem. Check to be sure there isn't a burr on your needle. You might have to adjust your tension for that thread, as well.

tjradj 10-16-2010 12:14 PM

Is your needle compatible with the thread? Sometimes you'll need one with a larger eye. Also try loosening your top tension - and make sure you're threading your machine with the pressor foot up - so the tension discs are disengaged when the thread goes through. Do check your needle for burrs. If all else fails, try sewing slower - high speed may be too much for the thread.

candi 10-16-2010 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
I've appliqued many times with invisible thread and didn't have a problem. Check to be sure there isn't a burr on your needle. You might have to adjust your tension for that thread, as well.

Also, make sure your machine is threaded correctly, the invisible thread is hard to see (LOL).

I've used invisible thread with size 60 needle, and had to lower the tension a bit on my machine. It worked fine.

Good luck!

JoyVoltenburg 10-16-2010 12:23 PM

You usually have to lower the top tension quite a bit. Someone said something about using quilter's ease (lubricant for thread) for unruly thread. I've never used it, but it might help. But try lowering your top tension or if you have a thread sock you could put on your spool of thread to help the thread from flailing around, that might help.

candi 10-16-2010 12:29 PM

Also, another thought, I find it easier to use the vertical thread holder on my sewing machine when using invisible thread, since it is straight-wound.

donnajean 10-16-2010 12:33 PM

Make sure the thread is flowing easily from the spool. Sometimes I have reversed the direction the spool is installed on my Viking machine & it flows better.

QuiltswithConvicts 10-16-2010 12:40 PM

I have found that the thread gets caught underneath the spool and will snap all the time. I solved this by putting the spool in a large jar with a screw-on lid & made a small hole in the lid. I threaded the invisibke thread through the hole and up into the machine as usual. I set the jar behind the machine. This has been working very well and no more broken thread.

SuziC 10-16-2010 12:41 PM

I had the same thing happen and thanks to everyone on this board learned to lower the tension and check my needle size....It Worked

BKrenning 10-16-2010 08:02 PM

I have to put some brands of invisible thread in a coffee mug behind the machine and loosen the top tension. I gave up trying to wind it on a bobbin to use. It was nothing but a big mess. I used an embroidery needle.