Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Iron seams open or to the side? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/iron-seams-open-side-t35062.html)

Marjpf 01-25-2010 01:47 PM

I was always told that pressing to one side is a stronger seam than pressing open. Also that way if there is any pull, you don't see the thread between the pieces.

dixiechunk 01-25-2010 02:50 PM

My only rule of thumb is to do which ever "seams" appropriate for what the situation calls for. On some of the newer quilt patterns that have few or no intersecting seams (4 Layer Cake for example) I press them toward the side because it's easier. As patterns and blocks get more complicated I more often press the seams open. Marsha McCloskey was recommending pressing seams open waaaay back when she published a book on Feathered Stars. If I do press my seams open I don't worry about it for just the reasons that the article Katrine referenced talked about.
And always remember there are no quilt police, only quilt peace-keeping organizations.
Penny

Quilt Mom 01-25-2010 03:58 PM

You press to one side, unless, of course, the block seems to need open seams... Or!!!

We will all have variations of the answer, because we are all individuals. Sometimes we do as we are told, and sometimes we are happier doing it differently.

You have to decide what you are going to do, based on how you are going to quilt, the number of seams meeting, etc.

So do as you like. You will learn what works best for you. :wink:

deedles215 01-26-2010 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Pat and pups
Actually, it's quilting crime 207. LOL

HAHA!!! Well, you never know... lol!!!! :lol:

Rose Marie 01-26-2010 07:45 AM

Quilting from the Heartlands host always does open pressing.
All the others do to the side.
I use both depending on the block and how it will lay.

Boston1954 01-26-2010 07:55 AM

I have always ironed to the side. Sometimes it is a little thick when I am hand quilting, but I am in the habit.

Bobbinwinder 01-26-2010 08:22 AM

Loved reading all these...there's just not ever going to be a single RIGHT way...and the only WRONG way is the one that doesn't work. I try to press for ease of construction... but if that doesn't give me the accuracy, well...I'll try another way! For those times that pressing to the light is absolutely best, I've been told to make sure that the darker seam allowance is graded just a touch narrower to insure that it won't creep out from under the lighter one.

amma 01-27-2010 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by deedles215

Originally Posted by Pat and pups
Actually, it's quilting crime 207. LOL

HAHA!!! Well, you never know... lol!!!! :lol:

And the fine is one FQ per infraction.....sent to ME!!! LMBO

I press to the side most often, but as previously stated
sometimes open to get a seam to lay flatter. :D:D:D

Jingle 01-28-2010 06:07 AM

I am going to try pressing some seams open especially at intersections and see if they match up easier. No all match up perfectly iron to one side. I am willing to try most things at least one. I am trying for the perfect quilt. DD says there is no such thing, I say there is and I want to make one. We'll see who is right,,,, maybe.

littlehud 01-31-2010 10:14 PM

I press mine to the side. It just seems to work better for me.