Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Iron on Transfers? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/iron-transfers-t28105.html)

Horrorgirl 11-03-2009 10:45 AM

Does anyone know how to put an Iron on Transfer onto a quilt? I assume I should iron it on the fabric before I sew? I just don't know if I will ruin the transfer if I stitch into it.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 11-03-2009 12:54 PM

I've never tried it, but I don't think I'd stitch into an iron-on. I think it would be best to quilt around it, but there will probably be someone on here who knows much more about it than I do. These folks know just about everything.

Prism99 11-03-2009 01:13 PM

Where did you get these iron on transfers and what are they like? I don't think I have ever worked with iron on transfers, so I'm trying to wrap my head around what you have. Are they large, small, thick embroidery patches like boy scout badges, or .....? Does the package say anything about stitching? Some fusibles are made to be stitched through but others are not. The ones that are not made for stitching will gum up your needle quickly. Some people have sewn through them anyway, periodically cleaning their needle with (I think) a swab of rubbing alcohol.

What is the final use of the quilt you are making? Will it hang on a wall, lay on a bed, or be a utility quilt for snuggling? All that info helps. :-)

zennia 11-03-2009 01:25 PM

Do you mean embroidery iron on transfer?

amma 11-03-2009 01:26 PM

I would not sew through those... If you want to quilt through the image I would suggest buying the printer sheets that you print the image on..then you can quilt anywhere on them.

These transfers are not as permanently embedded into the fabric and they also tend to start peeling off after a few washings as well as where they are folded or rubbed.

Just my experience with them...my kids use these for tshirts...but they don't last very long.

MadQuilter 11-03-2009 02:39 PM

I have T-Shirts with iron on and they don't hold up well in the wash. After a while they break apart and become ratty looking. I like amma's idea about printing the transfer onto fabric and using that in the quilt.

littlehud 11-03-2009 06:42 PM

I have never had much luck with iron on transfers. As MadQuilter says they start to look ratty after a while. I think the idea of printing on fabric is your best bet. I did that on a quilt for my dad and it's held up well.

stitchinMamaw 11-04-2009 06:09 AM

Hi , I agree . The color fades , they crack . I did t-shirts and sweats , didn't last very long . I was so disappointed :cry: If you are doing like a quilt block , maybe a wallhanging . It might last . Try vaccuuming , instead of washing . Hope this helps . Annie

Maride 11-04-2009 06:44 AM

On the other hand, if it is for a wall hanging that will be kept in a dry place away from direct sunlight, it may work fine, even if you stitch over it. Just make sure you don't do too much stitching. Just eneough to make sure the quilt don't form a big bulge on the area where the transfer is.

marsye 11-04-2009 07:00 AM

3 Attachment(s)
This is not advertising but I make and sell tons of fabric appliques for quilts. The fusible webbing is already applied to the backs so all you have to do is peel off the paper and press to your fabric. Most people do a machine satin stitch or small zig zag stitch around them and they are permanent and washable when done this way.