Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ironing Boards (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ironing-boards-t180778.html)

Auntie M 02-26-2012 11:47 AM

Ironing Boards

Does anyone know of an ironing board that is sturdy? I've tried 3 different brands and when I set them up they wobble and are so flimsy I'm afraid they will come crashing down.

Scissor Queen 02-26-2012 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Auntie M (Post 5010581)
Does anyone know of an ironing board that is sturdy? I've tried 3 different brands and when I set them up they wobble and are so flimsy I'm afraid they will come crashing down.

The ones with the four legs are sturdier than the T style.

Christine George 02-26-2012 01:39 PM

I found one at Walmart marked for quilters. It's wider than others. The legs are metal and the feet are spread apart for stability. The thing I like the best about it is the height adjustment. It will lower to table level so it's great for having next to me when I Paper Piece.

Holice 02-26-2012 01:43 PM

try Goodwill or Salvation Army Stores if one close by. The old ones are more sturdy. and a new cover is not expensive.

Drue 02-26-2012 01:54 PM

I won't be much help...my ironing board is about a 1925 model...My mom got it from Good Will after she a dad married in 1939. It's wood construction and narrow and I love it. It's the only one I've ever known..."it's FAMILY".

DH made me an 18" square board to lay over the top with two 1" x 1" stabilizer boards that fit on either side of the top for my applique' work.

I have often thought about buying a new ironing board, but I love mine so much and it's not too wide for garments (upper sleeves and etc) to fit over the end and press without getting out the sleeve board that my darling dad made me one year for my birthday....it is also a little bit narroweer than the newer ones and it "perfect" for my needs as well!

Good luck with your search and sewing.

pattypurple 02-26-2012 03:57 PM

I 2nd the opinion about the wide one from Wal Mart. I couldn't believe the difference. I got it because of the width but I'm really impressed with how stable it is. And, it isn't very expensive.

Nanaquilts44 02-26-2012 04:22 PM

I too got the one from Walmart last year. I ordered it online. I love the height adjustment on it and the fact that it is wider than the usual boards.

ShabbyTabby 02-26-2012 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 5010750)
The ones with the four legs are sturdier than the T style.

I totally agree. The 4 legs make it so much more stable than the T.

rjwilder 02-27-2012 07:36 AM

I have the one from Wal-Mart also, love it! The four legs make it stable and the wider ironing surface is great for ironing large pieces of fabric. I was a bit shocked to see how much decent ironing boards cost.

Cheshirecatquilter 02-27-2012 07:51 AM

Another thing that makes a big difference in stability is if your ironing board is standing on a solid floor or on top of carpeting.