Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Irons Again (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/irons-again-t74741.html)

smiles 11-06-2010 05:50 PM

I live on the lake and we use lake water which is soft. We have a filter system. I had a Rowenta and had the same problem of leaking. Anyone out there have iron suggestions. We do use a water cooler, not sure what process is used but can check. :?:

barbsmith 11-06-2010 06:25 PM

We have a water softener and I have learned that I cannot use the softened water in my iron; it makes it leak. We have one faucet in the garage that is not connected to the water softener and that is what I use in my iron. No more problems with leaking.

smiles 11-06-2010 06:35 PM

Thanks Barb, but we do not have a water softener its just that are lake water has very little mineral content in it.

emmy 11-06-2010 06:46 PM

I only use distilled water, no matter what the directions say. It's wonderful not to have any leaks or 'spitting', and the steam is consistant. Have had the Black and Decker Advantage for several years and a Bernina prior to the B & D for many years. I loved the Bernina (discontinued) until it fell on a tile floor.

stevendebbie25 11-06-2010 06:57 PM

I agree, cheep or expensive, any iron only use distilled water, a gal. is cheep and keeps your iron clean & trouble free.
Has anyone tried the (darn, mind went blank on name) iron that has a stand up leg? You don't have to tip it on it's end, just letting go, the iron pops up off the surface. Push down to iron?
So, if you left that stem I'm presuming is hot, on fabric, it will scorch it, right?
Has anyone tried it? Like it? pros/cons?
It has a price tag like Rowenta irons. But I'm tired of replacing irons I buy cheep that don't last. And I do use distilled water in them always. We have a water well, a little higher on sodium so it's like having a water softner, we use RO for drinking & plants.
Thanks

ckcowl 11-07-2010 02:54 AM

spray bottle of water on ironing board...then you can use any iron you want. the $10 ones from walmart will hold up for years if you do not put water into it. all irons start leaking/spittiing and spattering after a little time; best to put the water into a spray bottle and spritz your fabric for your steam.

Originally Posted by smiles
I live on the lake and we use lake water which is soft. We have a filter system. I had a Rowenta and had the same problem of leaking. Anyone out there have iron suggestions. We do use a water cooler, not sure what process is used but can check. :?:

plainpat 11-07-2010 02:59 AM

I use a spray bottle of tap water for pressing quilt blocks.Dry irons seem to last forever, compared to steam irons.
My last one, a GE dry iron, came from a yard sale for $3.That was at least 7-8 yrs ago.

twospoiledhuskies 11-07-2010 04:46 AM

I havea Rowenta and have always used distilled water. Todate, haven't had any problems. Lots of steam-love it.
Good Luck :D

gaigai 11-07-2010 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by emmy
I only use distilled water, no matter what the directions say. It's wonderful not to have any leaks or 'spitting', and the steam is consistant. Have had the Black and Decker Advantage for several years and a Bernina prior to the B & D for many years. I loved the Bernina (discontinued) until it fell on a tile floor.

I absolutely agree with the distilled water. I think that the iron manufacturers tell you not to use distilled water on purpose, so that your iron WILL have problems and need to be replaced. I've had my Krupps iron for almost 20 years and NO spitting or incontinence (as Ricky Timms says).

Shelbie 11-07-2010 05:07 AM

I have trouble with irons and kettles and I know it is our well water with the high lime content. The water does taste great so I will have to put up with changing my kettle and iron every couple of years. Right now I have a Russel Hobbs iron ($20) that changes colour as the temperature goes up and it has been great. I like it much better than my heavy Shark ($100) which is always shutting down and I have to shake it to wake it up which is really annoying!I'm always on the look-out for both irons and kettles and like to have a spare on hand just in case.