Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Issues with first quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/issues-first-quilt-t197072.html)

Celestin18 08-08-2012 02:06 PM

Issues with first quilt

I've sewn for a few years and have always wanted to try quilting. A few weeks ago, I started and have loved it. My first quilt is turning out... alright. But I've learned a lot along the way and continue to learn. I have a few issues that I need help with, that I've been unable to find an answer to. So, I tore four blocks worth of fabric with my seam ripped while sewing and resewing seams to make them line up. So I have a nice big 32x8 space in my quilt. I don't want to re-order the same fabric I quilted with and would like to find a way to fill up the space. I thought of putting in a panel to fill the space, but am afraid that will look weird. I'm using the Good Fortune fabric by Moda, so I thought of using an oriental one. Many are beautiful, but made of silk, which I know frays like no one's business. I also sort of fell in love with some vintage kimono silk that I sort of want to use as a backing, but is it fussy? Should I just stick with cotton? Any help/advice or ideas would be appreciated.

quiltsRfun 08-08-2012 02:21 PM

I'd stick with cotton. There are some really pretty Asian prints that might work.

Raggiemom 08-08-2012 02:35 PM

I was going to suggest appliqueing a piece over the hole but it might be too big to do that. I'm not an applique expert so maybe someone who knows more about it might have a suggestion.

ckcowl 08-08-2012 03:00 PM

if you want to use silks use a lightweight fusable tricot interfacing on the backs- keeps the fraying under control & also makes sewing (and cutting) easier. I love silks and have used them in many quilts- no reason not to if that's what you like & goes well with your project. it is important to have a new-sharp blade in your rotory cutter- and fuse the interfacing to the silk before cutting- (just ask at joannes or other store like that for the interfacing) it's not fusable web used for appliques- it is a lightweight thin white fabric (alot like a dryer sheet) that has fusable on one side- it stays inside as another layer. ..like what is in a collar or cuff- but lighter weight- soft not stiff.

barny 08-08-2012 03:08 PM

Also remember if you are setting "in" fabric to an already sewn spot, open up the seams 1/4 in. so they can be put in.

Grandma Peg 08-08-2012 03:21 PM

Welcome from WI. Cotton is the best.

Earleen 08-08-2012 05:56 PM

Oriental Pannel

Originally Posted by Celestin18 (Post 5427063)
I've sewn for a few years and have always wanted to try quilting. A few weeks ago, I started and have loved it. My first quilt is turning out... alright. But I've learned a lot along the way and continue to learn. I have a few issues that I need help with, that I've been unable to find an answer to. So, I tore four blocks worth of fabric with my seam ripped while sewing and resewing seams to make them line up. So I have a nice big 32x8 space in my quilt. I don't want to re-order the same fabric I quilted with and would like to find a way to fill up the space. I thought of putting in a panel to fill the space, but am afraid that will look weird. I'm using the Good Fortune fabric by Moda, so I thought of using an oriental one. Many are beautiful, but made of silk, which I know frays like no one's business. I also sort of fell in love with some vintage kimono silk that I sort of want to use as a backing, but is it fussy? Should I just stick with cotton? Any help/advice or ideas would be appreciated.

I saw a really pretty oriental pannel at our Ben Franklin. I keep thinking about it, to do something with it.

pinecone 08-08-2012 06:48 PM

I would use cotton on the back. Satin will slip and slide all over and will be on the floor before morning. Happy quilting. My first quilt used 3 fabrics and it took me 3 hours!!! to pick them out.

piney

nativetexan 08-08-2012 07:18 PM

you can always add a solid fabric in that space and do some nice quilting design on it too.