Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   It's hard to take that first step.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/its-hard-take-first-step-t203011.html)

Stitch124 10-12-2012 04:41 AM

It's hard to take that first step....

:shock:I'm a newbie to quilting but not to sewing. I took a beginner quilting course and made a wall hanging. Now I have two quilt kits just waiting for me to start cutting........but I can't get myself to the point to know where to start, which one to do first....where to start, etc. I don't have a dedicated place to set up my sewing....kitchen table is it. Also, my g/kids would want to 'help' and I get easily distracted and afraid to make the wrong cuts. One quilt is Terry Atkinson - Yellow Brick Road' and the other is 'Footsteps in the Sand'....both are beginner's quilts. Don't know which one to start on first. I enjoyed so much the interaction with others at the class but now I'm on my own with nobody to bounce my questions off of right there at the moment. I feel frozen......but excited....to get started. But why can't I get moving .....???

HillCountryGal 10-12-2012 04:46 AM

Like anything new to us, it's hard to jump right in... still, you know you're going to have fun so close your eyes, pick one and get started. You can do it! There will always be something to get in the way, just ignore that. :thumbup:

erstan947 10-12-2012 04:49 AM

When I get in this mind set....I tell myself "This is not brain surgery. It is just fabric!" It wont' get done unless you begin. There is no perfect time so just do it. You will be happy when you get past that first cut:) Be sure to show us your finished project. You can do it!! Happy Stitches:thumbup:

Jingle 10-12-2012 05:43 AM

Start with the yellow brick road, it sounds and looks easy. Just put on your big girl panties and just get going.

Quiltngolfer 10-12-2012 06:11 AM

The Yellow Brick Road is a fun quilt. You can't mess it up. I have made two of them and really enjoyed the process. They turned out good too. You will do great. Pick some colors you like and go for it!

Tartan 10-12-2012 06:15 AM

You can do it! Hand your wallhanging where you can see it for encouragment. It is difficult if you don't have a dedicated area to sew in. It doesn't have to be large, I have a sewing nook but it's all mine. Use the table at night when the kids are sleeping or not there for cutting. That way you will make fewer mistakes and it is safer for everyone. Once you have all the pieces cut you can snatch little times to sit and sew. A laundry basket flipped upside down over your machine or stuff can help keep fingers off temporarily.

Stitch124 10-12-2012 06:27 AM

Thanks all for those encouraging words and tips to get started. I have so many interests that's there's just not enough hours in the day when working full time with a one hour commute each way. I have no plans tomorrow other than to groom my mini-schnauzer, Stitchie. After that I am free to do what I want. No babysitting plans or anywhere to go. I will let everyone know that I'm going to take over the kitchen and that's my space for the weekend! Tawannnnda!!!!!

sylviak 10-12-2012 06:35 AM

I love your avatar! Looks like one of those grandkids with a new "toy"! LOL!

Central Ohio Quilter 10-12-2012 07:10 AM

Depending on the grand kids ages, I would give them some spools and fabric scraps to play with, maybe a needle and thread to start stitching with or for the older ones, have them learn along with you and have them help you figure it out, or make one of their own, while you are working on yours. Often, the best way to learn how to do something is to teach it to someone else. Or do you have a girlfriend that wants to learn quilting also? If you do it together with a friend, you can bounce ideas off each other and talk out the questions you have.

Have fun with the process!

Prissnboot 10-12-2012 07:15 AM

I remember being hesitant before making my first pieced block. I had prelaundered all of my fabric leftover (like you) from the babydoll-clothes-making days, it was all organized, sorted by color, and nicely folded. I had printed from the internet dozens of block patterns, quilt patterns, hints and tips, and I remember sitting on the couch looking at my sewing area and basically having to kick my rear end in gear to GET UP and GET ON WITH IT ALREADY! I reminded myself that I didn't do all this stuff just to collect quilting stuff, I wanted to do it, so just do it. I made a 6" pieced heart block and practiced some FMQ on it at a later date - this is now my coaster for my sewing room. After I finished that first block, I thought "See, THIS is what you were afraid of?" It was no big deal. Read your directions in your pattern (toss a coin to choose which one to do first), then read them again. Post questions on this board whenever you feel the need for guidance - everyone here is very helpful and encouraging.

Most of all, enjoy the experience! And I love the name of your dog!