Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Janome 6600 question - 1/4" seam (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/janome-6600-question-1-4%22-seam-t58695.html)

PghPat 08-10-2010 03:45 AM

I am new user of the Janome 6600 and won't have a class on it until next month - bummer. My question is when I am quilting and using the quilting foot (or is it called Accu foot?) and I want to use a 1/4" stitch - how do I guide it. I know I could always put tape on the bed of the machine but I thought with a new machine I wouldn't have to have tape stuck on it. Can I use the Accu feed with the 1/4" foot?

I haven't tried to change the feet - well, yes, I started to attempt it but didn't know how to get the back part of the foot (don't know what you call it - the part that swings up to the back) - or does that always stay on?

I know I'm probably not making a lot of sense but hoping someone will understand what I'm trying to say.

Thanks! Pat

MamaBear61 08-10-2010 03:50 AM

Hi Pat,

I think the Janome's have a similiar system to my Pfaff. The arm that is at the back of your foot stays on the machine and you only change the foot itself. Lift and push back the arm and then remove the foot and replace with the 1/4 inch foot and reengage the arm by pulling it down and forward into the back of the pressure foot. The thing I am not sure about is how the feet themselves attach on your machine, mine simply snap into place on pins on either side of the shank. Good luck and happy sewing.

Katrine 08-10-2010 03:51 AM

You can get a special 1/4" Acufeed foot particularly for this (and there Acufeed feet for ditching, ruffling, and an open toe one as well) And no you wont be able to use the ordinary 1/4" foot with the Acufeed mechanism.
When you fit an Acufeed foot you raise the foot to the highest setting after screwing on the Acufeed foot, then you bring down the mechanism from the back and it fits underneath the foot. There are very explicit pictures in the manual. If you dont have one, you can download it on line.

kathy 08-10-2010 06:46 AM

if you don't have the 1/4" for the accufeed you can use the regular one, you don't have to put tape down, the throat plate is markrd just pick you line and keep the edge of your fabric on it, it WOULD be easier to see if you had a piece of blue tape there though

seamstome 08-10-2010 06:56 AM

The acufeed 1/4 inch foot is well worth the investment.

Spudgm 08-10-2010 07:07 AM

I have the 1/4 inch accufeed foot for my 6600 but do not use it for piecing, I use the regular 1/4 inch foot that came with the machine. I adjust the needle so that I get a scant 1/4 inch.

b.zang 08-10-2010 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Spudgm
I have the 1/4 inch accufeed foot for my 6600 but do not use it for piecing, I use the regular 1/4 inch foot that came with the machine. I adjust the needle so that I get a scant 1/4 inch.

Ditto exactly!

quiltstodo 08-10-2010 10:16 AM

Hi,
I also have the 6600 and the swingy part stays on when you change the feet. I believe there is a notch (line) on the foot and that is the 1/4" already made that mistake now i'm turning those pieces into another quilt. But do a test and measure it for sure.

NHSOMND 08-10-2010 11:11 AM

I also have the 6600, and like seamstome, would invest in the 1/4" AccuFeed foot.

If you don't want to tape on your machine, I would use your current AccuFeed foot (I have an open toe one that I'm currently using, to get my hands and brain use to making an accurate seam), and practice with some scraps making a 1/4" seam. See where the 1/4" may line up on the foot, and mark the foot with a permanent marker.

There is also on the quilting market, an adhesive stick on ruler marking that has different measurements, and sticks right on or near the bobbin plate of your machine.

Janey 08-10-2010 06:23 PM

Pat I too am a new owner of a Janome 6600 and had to take my machine back to the shop to get the dual feed off, you pull down and back and up on it and it will release, on page 13 of your manual is the instructions. Then to change the foot just unscrew the the thumb screw and release the dual feed foot. We have a very good 1/4 inch foot, there is a guide which helps youto have exact 1/4 inch. Good luck Janey