Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Janome AQS (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/janome-aqs-t34844.html)

MM 01-22-2010 05:08 PM

Do you have any experience with this machine? Good/bad points? Haven't ever used a 3/4 machine...how large an item can be quilted on a machine this size?

Quilter7x 03-01-2010 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by MM
Do you have any experience with this machine? Good/bad points? Haven't ever used a 3/4 machine...how large an item can be quilted on a machine this size?

Is this machine meant for a long arm frame or can you do regular sewing on it also?

Oklahoma Suzie 03-01-2010 04:20 PM

Sorry don't have this one, I'm sure someone here can help.

MM 03-02-2010 02:24 AM

I don't know anything about long arm frames and the machines meant for them, but I would assume the AQS would not qualify as it is a 3/4 size machine. Some people have said it is a renamed Janome Platinum 720, although it may have some features that machine did not have. My understanding from what the dealer told me is that is has more features/stitches than the Janome Jem Gold, but less decorative stitches than the Jem Platinum.

lisalovesquilting 03-02-2010 03:21 AM

I have a Jem Platinum. Don't know about the stitches on the AQS but you could quilt a baby quilt easily and a lap quilt without too much trouble.

watterstide 03-02-2010 03:56 AM

here is a picture of it.
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...roogle_df&LNM=|B002RTVXG2&CPNG=appliances&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001

i would not want to do any quilting on it..there is no room under the arm/bed of it. maybe a baby quilt,like suggested. but even that would be a struggle.
it looks like a platinum.except the stitch guide is on the front of the machine ,and the platinum is on a pull out card on the bottom of the machine.
go to
www.patternreview.com
and see if it is listed for pros and cons. Kim

Quilter7x 03-02-2010 05:30 AM

I paid $500 for my Jem Platinum 760 about 4 years ago and it's coming down in price. I saw it last year at a show for $439 and they threw in the walking foot and a few other feet.

mamaw 03-02-2010 06:07 AM

Janome comes out with a new machine every year that has nice features for a good price. This just happens to be the 2009 model and I wouldn't be afraid of it at all. I bought the 2007LE and have not had anything go wrong with it. Has great features and sews nicely. It is the best, for those who don't want to pay 4 figures for a machine.

mamaw 03-02-2010 06:10 AM

One more thing, you should be able to get it for less at a quilt shop that deals with Janome's for a better price when they have their sales. Janome is known for having a big sale each spring, so check around. That is when I got mine on sale for $399.

MM 03-02-2010 01:33 PM

Thanks for all your comments.

Funny-no one answered at the time I wrote my question about the AQS on here; I checked the reviews at the website suggested and they were favorable. Through another list I found a couple of women who have had the AQS for awhile and they told me what they liked about it. The dealer told me about taking it on a plane with her and sticking it under the seat in front of her (which I assume you could do with all the Jems as they're all about the same size, aren't they?).

Then I took my own quilt sandwiches, a Quilt for Kids quilt that was ready to be quilted, etc., and went and sewed on it one Saturday afternoon. Brought it home with me and have made a few things on it as I was getting ready to take a class at the LQS.

Has less decorative stitches than the Platinum 760, but I don't use the decorative stitches on my Bernina, so that wasn't a concern. It does have user-adjustable stitch width, which I believe the Jem Gold does not. I like that you can have the needle stop either up or down and that there's a push button you can use to sew instead of using the foot control.

$300 including cover and "quilting package" of walking foot, quarter-inch foot, and a few other things.

Does just what I want and for a price I thought was reasonable. Well satisfied so far!