Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Janome blue dot bobbin case - tension (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/janome-blue-dot-bobbin-case-tension-t114988.html)

annesthreads 04-10-2011 08:30 AM

I've just bought the bobbin case that Janome sell for free motion quilting. Until now FMQ has been almost impossible on my 4800 because of loops on the bottom at every tension setting except (sometimes) 9. I'd be interested to hear from anyone else using this bobbin case just how much difference it made to the tension you used - what number works? Obviously it will vary from one quilt to another, depending on thread, needle etc, but any indication of whereabouts on the tension dial I might be aiming for could save me a lot of time and frustration!

linken 04-10-2011 08:48 AM

I have a Janome, but have never heard of a special bobbin case for FMQ. Why was it necessary to but it

b.zang 04-10-2011 08:50 AM

I have the FMQ bobbin case for my Janome, but honestly have no recollection of changing the tension, although I do think it's down in the 1 or 2 area when I'm quilting. Does the tension make much difference, since the feed dogs are down and you're moving the fabric from stitch to stitch? Now you have me wondering.......

patricej 04-10-2011 08:58 AM

for me, the special bobbin case makes a world of difference.

i don't fiddle with its tension setting. the difference between the blue dot and red dot cases is that the tension is factory set for FMQ.

i won't claim that it cured all the problems with my FMQ. most of those are because of me ... no machine or gadget can fix them. :lol:

annesthreads 04-10-2011 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by linken
I have a Janome, but have never heard of a special bobbin case for FMQ. Why was it necessary to but it

It seems to be necessary on at least some Janomes because there are problems with the tension of the bobbin case provided, as outlined in my original post. I don't want to try adjusting the existing bobbin case, so I've bought the one they've brought out that has the tension set for FMQ.
This is definitely an issue with the machine, not just an incompetent user :-) . I've struggled for several years to do FMQ without loops on the back, trying every combination of needle and thread known to woman. The clincher was trying 3 other non-Janome machines and producing perfectly adequate stitching.

annesthreads 04-10-2011 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
for me, the special bobbin case makes a world of difference.

i don't fiddle with its tension setting. the difference between the blue dot and red dot cases is that the tension is factory set for FMQ.

i won't claim that it cured all the problems with my FMQ. most of those are because of me ... no machine or gadget can fix them. :lol:

That's really reaassuring, Patrice! The endless problems have worn me down, and if this doesn't work the machine just may go through the window :(

annesthreads 04-10-2011 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by b.zang
I have the FMQ bobbin case for my Janome, but honestly have no recollection of changing the tension, although I do think it's down in the 1 or 2 area when I'm quilting. Does the tension make much difference, since the feed dogs are down and you're moving the fabric from stitch to stitch? Now you have me wondering.......

I've assumed it does make a difference, as at the moment the higher I set it, the less the problem with loops, though they rarely disappear completely.

katieranch 04-10-2011 10:39 AM

The special bobbin case made a huge difference in my quilting and I don't mess with the tension. I love my Janome's!

tangledthread 04-10-2011 10:44 AM

I had the same problems with loops on mine but it wasn't the top tension it was the bobbin tension. Try taking out your bobbin hold the thread and let the bobbin go, it shouldn't fall fast or not fall at all, it should gently glide down. there is a little screw on the bobbin, gently turn it slightly until this happens. Different weight threads need different bobbin tension. Let me know if this helps with your regular bobbin. My LQS helped me set mine for 50wt, I haven't used anything else since.

SherriB 04-10-2011 10:49 AM

I bought the blue dot bobbin case for my Janome. It must be operator error because it did not help my fmq at all. I may get it out and try it again. I have HT08, just a regular machine. It is the one that has a Kenmore for a twin.