Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Janome Memory Craft 6600P (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/janome-memory-craft-6600p-t159692.html)

Suzanne in VT 10-11-2011 11:34 AM

With all the talk about this machine in the past week or so I started looking around online and found an almost new one on Ebay, which I "won" last night.

I'm very excited to get it as I have NEVER owned anything other than a basic model (I currently own a Janome New Home, which I love and has done me very well over the last 7 years).

I'm really nervous about owning a computerized machine. I remember my Home Economics teacher always drilling through our heads "never own something that has a lot of gadgets....always get the basics...". Funny how these things stick with you for life (I'm 46 years old).

Anyways, it comes with an instruction book and I'm wondering if there is anything I should do to prepare for using this other than reading an owner's manual. Can anyone point me in a good direction, give me tips if you own one on things you have learned over the time you have had it, etc?

Thanks for your help!

Suzanne

DonnaC 10-11-2011 11:44 AM

I don't own that particular machine but wanted to chime in. When I purchased my most recent computerized machine with 400+ stitches, what I did was cut doubled pieces of muslin into 8.5"x11" pieces, loaded the machine with dark-colored thread, and stitched out each and every stitch pattern. (I know they are all printed in your manual, but I like to see them actually stitched on fabric.) Then I took a Sharpie marker and wrote the stitch number above each row of stitching, put each muslin piece into a clear page protector, and put them all into a binder. That way it's a quick reference for me as to what stitches I have available.

Other than that, I would say just read the manual... very carefully. Sometimes we miss a little item here and there and it causes us grief (smile).

Good luck with your new machine.

CarrieC 10-11-2011 11:46 AM

Congrats on your new addition! I hope you have a long and happy relationship.

JanTx 10-11-2011 11:49 AM

can you find any demonstrations or tutorials online?

QuiltingKrazy 10-11-2011 12:12 PM

My only suggestion is just play with it learning all about it as you go. I have the 6500 and I made a "cheat sheet" so to speak of the actual stiches and have that hanging on my wall in front of my machine. That way I can just look up there to when I need a fancy stitch! Keep a can of air near by to blown out the lint and dust. and always keep the manual at arms length... just in case! I have had to pull that out a couple of times! The best advice would be to be sure to use a surge protector as you would with any computer! I could handle losing my computer to a power surge but NOT my machine! that would be absolutely tragic!

twistedstitcher 10-11-2011 12:47 PM

Congratulations! I have no doubt you'll love your new machine. There's a yahoo group for owners of your machine, that would be a good place to go for advice or answers to any questions you might have.

I've tried to put a link in this message but I get a message content error. If you google "yahoo groups janome 6600P" a link will come up to the group. Have fun with your new toy!

QuiltnNan 10-11-2011 12:50 PM

congrats!

Little RoO 10-11-2011 12:58 PM

I have the 6600...takes a little getting used to but I love it...just play...the little display window will tell you which foot you need, and ideal tension....keep to those and you won't go wrong. Read the instruction book atleast twice.
I messed with the tension on mine...not advisable...! Has taken me a while to get back but is back to fab now.

SharonTheriault 10-11-2011 01:32 PM

I love my Janome 6600P!!! Read the manual and refer to it with any questions. It's an easy machine to learn. Have fun!

tellabella 10-11-2011 01:53 PM

I love it...bought the new FM quilting foot but have not used it yet and quilting bobbin case...(different tension) haven't tried it yet either......I have 1/4 quilting foot with the side guide...the stitch in the ditch foot too and the throat plate for quilting...with the little hole for the needle...they are all great...you will love it...
This is one thing I do that I wish I wouldn't...I tend to push the cut thread button before the green light goes on and that is not good...my machine does not like it when I rush...