Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Janome? Viking? Pfaff? Bernina? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/janome-viking-pfaff-bernina-t163862.html)

MargeD 10-29-2011 12:35 PM

I have a Janome 4000, which I really like, even though it is an older model. I'd like a machine that can embroider, but that's probably not in the cards, however, my Janome has features that I like. If it breaks down I have a Brother and a Kenmore in my closet as back-up, the Kenmore has features that are very similar to my Janome, and the Brother works well too. It's all personal preference, try them all out and then decide. The dealer is also a very big component in liking a machine and being able to have it serviced when you need it is big.

yayaquilts 10-29-2011 12:41 PM

My hubby bought me a new Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0 in June for my birthday. I LOVE IT!! It is my 3rd Pfaff (since 1987). I love Pfaff's IDT feature--dual feed for all sewing. And just a few weeks ago I FMQ'd on it and it did the FMQ beautifully--so easy and great looking stitching and tension (it has an auto sensor for FMQ similar to a stitch regulator, altho not actually one--it seemed like it was to me). I was so happy with it I sang with joy!! I also love the extra space in the throat area 10" as opposed to my previous machine's 7". I highly recommend it.

luvstoquilt 10-29-2011 12:56 PM

I replaced my old Pfaff with a Viking Sapphire and I love it. My Pfaff was about 20 years old so this has a lot more bells and whistles. I am still learning what I can do with the Viking but I really love it so far.

AnitaSt 10-29-2011 12:59 PM

Bernina....hands down the highest quality machines. At least, the ones made in Switzerland are. Not every Bernina will have some of the fancy or convenience features of Janome or Pfaffs, but I believe that the basic machinery, stitch quality, and reliability of the Berninas are ultimately the best decision.

jansquiltn 10-29-2011 01:12 PM

Love my 640 bernina.

justme CA 10-29-2011 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Maia B
Having a trustworthy dealer is essential. Then test-drive with your own fabrics, threads, and typical sewing tasks. Prepare samples of piecing, quilt sandwiches, rolled hems, jeans to hem, whatever YOU need. You've got to love the feel of your machine. That said, I've got several machines, and I think BERNINA has the most power, precision, durability, and reliability. They are more expensive, but totally worth it.

Ditto to the above. I love my Bernina.

quiltmau 10-29-2011 01:46 PM

I just bought a Babylock-I love it-smooth and does more than I can ever learn.

Wanda_GA 10-29-2011 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by auntmag
I like the Janome Horizon. I have had mine for a year and I love it.

Me too! I had all Vikings, but when I saw the Horizon I had to check it out and am I so glad I did. I've had mine almost a year...got it last Dec. I still have my Designer SE for embroidery and regular sewing & my Viking 936 Serger, but my Horizon does all my quilting...with the huge throat space it is great.

eimay 10-29-2011 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Gatormom3
I have a Janome 6600 which I love but really wish I could trade it for the new Janome 12000!

Isn't that a dream machine???

CLMQuilter 10-29-2011 02:44 PM

Love my Janome machines too.
Carol in Delaware