Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Janome? Viking? Pfaff? Bernina? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/janome-viking-pfaff-bernina-t163862.html)

sewmary 10-28-2011 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Navy Wife
I love my Pfaffs. I've been sewing with them for more than 30 years. However, if you hear from 100 people, you will get 100 opinions. They are all good machines, and I would buy the one that has the best dealer in your area. Make sure you will be able to get lessons on how to operate the machine, and that they offer good and speedy service.

Ditto all the way through. I do love my Pfaffs but what works for you is what is important.

auntmag 10-28-2011 07:22 AM

I like the Janome Horizon. I have had mine for a year and I love it.

Ann912 10-28-2011 07:42 AM

Love my Janome machines!

Quilter7x 10-28-2011 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by mamaw
I am a huge Janome fan and highly recommend the Horizon...it has a larger throat space than the 6600 and better lighting. Has the same accufeed system and I love mine.

I am also a huge Janome fan and can't see ever giving up my old Memory Craft 9000. However, I got to use a Bernina in a class one time and absolutely fell in love with how well it did free motion quilting. Loved it so much that I bought a used one!

The type of machine you get will depend on what you want it for. For FMQ, I definitely recommend a Bernina. For ease of use and regular stitching, I definitely recommend a Janome.

Since I haven't used any other brand sewing machines, I can't comment on them. But the best thing for you to do is to go check all your friends sewing machines and the ones in the stores. This will be a tough decision!

Doreen 10-28-2011 08:40 AM

I have a Bernina and a Viking. They are both very good machines. I use the Bernina for stitching blocks and other stuff. I use the Viking for my machine quilting. The Bernina has a stitch regulator but I like the Viking because it is high speed.

jdiane318 10-28-2011 08:42 AM

Janome is my choice.

Normabeth 10-28-2011 08:46 AM

I have the Bernina 440 EQ and love it. Would not trade this in for anyother machine. Orginally purchased it to do embroidery, but I quickly moved to quilting.
NormaBeth

QuiltNGanny 10-28-2011 08:48 AM

I have two Vikings and loved the first which is about 30 years old now. The second is fine, about 12 years old. With this one it's been okay, but no chemistry. I got a Bernina about a year ago and am in love again. It has made me a believer.

psquared52 10-28-2011 08:49 AM

I absolutely LOVe my Janome6600. Am seriously considering the 12000.

Maggiemay 10-28-2011 08:52 AM

I agree with everyone's advice about buying one through a reputable dealer close by. I love my Pfaff because of the IDT & the fact you can use different feet (1/4", SID, etc) while having the IDT engaged. I love my Janome 1600 because it is a workhorse & the large bed space makes FMQ easier. I love my old Kenmore because it has the best overcast stitch & buttonhole. Figure out what features are essential to you & go from there!