Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Janome won't sew backwards in Free Motion (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/janome-wont-sew-backwards-free-motion-t75169.html)

Illsa 11-08-2010 03:51 PM

Perfect stitches going forward or sideways but backward it skips stitches. I changed the needle, adjusted the tension, and oiled.
What else???????????????? Illsa

MadQuilter 11-08-2010 04:05 PM

I'm confused. You did say Free Motion, which means that you control the stitches. Free motion is not really directional because you control that too. Did you drop (or cover) the feed dogs? Is your motion possibly jerky and the stitch size is noticeably different? Maybe you are changing direction too abruptly??? I just started learning FMQ and it is hard to get consistent stitch quality.

amma 11-08-2010 04:55 PM

I have more difficulty going backwards than side to side or forward.
I have noticed that it is because I can't see where I am going, causing me to move the quilt with a jerkier and more inconsistent motion...
Maybe try again, and see if it feels less comfortable for you too?
I have moved around my machine to get around this. Leave the quilt in the machine, needle down. Move to the side of the machine and continue so you are now sewing to the side instead of going back wards, if that makes sense?

sewingladydi 11-08-2010 05:07 PM

I think MadQuilter is right. Your machine doesn't know which way you are moving your quilt, your machine is just going up & down. Forward, backward, right or left is controlled by you moving the quilt.

watterstide 11-08-2010 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by amma
I have more difficulty going backwards than side to side or forward.
I have noticed that it is because I can't see where I am going, causing me to move the quilt with a jerkier and more inconsistent motion...
Maybe try again, and see if it feels less comfortable for you too?
I have moved around my machine to get around this. Leave the quilt in the machine, needle down. Move to the side of the machine and continue so you are now sewing to the side instead of going back wards, if that makes sense?

i really want to try it this way, next time i do a baby quilt. I just have to put a post it note on the machine, so i don't forget!
i also have trouble going backwards..so i try not to..

nativetexan 11-08-2010 05:53 PM

hmmmm, presser foot down? and darning foot (one with spring)? otherwise i don't know.

RST 11-08-2010 06:01 PM

Are you catching your quilt on something? Other than that, I can't visualize what would be causing problems going backward any differently that going side to side. Can you stitch a spiral?

RST

Beginner64 11-08-2010 06:07 PM

Good luck with any FMQ. I've tried practicing it on scrap fabric three or four times now. The last time I tried it I wound up bending a brand new needle. Without a machine that takes a stitch regulator I don't think that I will ever try it again. I made a practice square to see how my quilting sandwich would be and I used my walking foot with a slight zig-zag stitch and even doing something like hearts it turned out quite nicely.

tjradj 11-08-2010 06:57 PM

I freemotion with my Janome(s) and don't have any trouble. That being said, the needle in not made to have tension pulling it forward, or it won't "mesh" with the bobbin properly. I wonder if you're moving the fabric to quickly for the speed of your machine and therefore "pulling" the needle forward a tiny bit. Tension on the needle from side to side doesn't seem to cause skipped stitches as much as tension from behind. There is a video online about this, but for the life of me, I don't remember where :o)

b.zang 11-08-2010 07:04 PM

I have a bobbin holder especially for free motion quilting. It's an accessory and is readily available. Maybe try one.