Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Jelly roll race HELP!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/jelly-roll-race-help-t193228.html)

Marti1943 06-30-2012 12:20 PM

Jelly roll race HELP!!!

I have tried this pattern 3 times and each time I get 3-4 color the same right next to each other. I cut 18" off the first strip-alternate light and dark-still comes out with too many strips the same color next to each other. Any suggestions???:shock:

jeemmerling621 06-30-2012 12:33 PM

This usually happens because after you make each cut at the end of the long seams, a couple strips will kind-of wrap around from the end of one row and onto the next row because the end of each seam usually ends at the middle of the strip.

If you are talking about several values of color conglomerating in one spot, I can't help you there :(. I usually just add a border of a contrasting fabric and it balances everything out.

Scissor Queen 06-30-2012 06:40 PM

It's not possible to not have some strips of the same color next to each other since it's folded in half in the middle of the strips. They come out however they come out.

BellaBoo 06-30-2012 07:37 PM

You could cut your own strips and not have two alike. That is the only way. I cut 3 inch wide strips for a bigger quilt for the same amount of sewing time.

willferg 07-01-2012 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 5329787)
You could cut your own strips and not have two alike. That is the only way. I cut 3 inch wide strips for a bigger quilt for the same amount of sewing time.

Well, now isn't that smart! My biggest complaint about this pattern (along with the original poster's of having similar or same colors too close together) is how many strips it takes to get the depth right. But using wider strips would solve that problem nicely.

Thanks!

Toni C 07-01-2012 11:02 AM

why didn't I think of that??

Peckish 07-01-2012 12:22 PM

I don't think this works. As someone said earlier, because of the way it's cut and sewn, you will still get the same strip of fabric next to itself - the top half will be sewn next to the bottom half. However, I think you might avoid this if you cut the fabric BEFORE stitching it, and turned one side 180 degrees.

Clear as mud? lol

aborning 07-01-2012 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 5331334)
I don't think this works. As someone said earlier, because of the way it's cut and sewn, you will still get the same strip of fabric next to itself - the top half will be sewn next to the bottom half. However, I think you might avoid this if you cut the fabric BEFORE stitching it, and turned one side 180 degrees.

Clear as mud? lol

Also remember, using wider strips only makes the quilt longer--not wider. If you also want it wider, you need to use more strips.

BellaBoo 07-01-2012 07:27 PM

I didn't have any two colors next to each other using the 3" all different strips. I may have been just lucky though. The quilt was wider as I used about ten more strips then what is in a usual jelly roll. I cut and then laid out the strips and sometimes sewed the opposite sides together to get the look I wanted. It's the fastest mineless sewing to get a quilt top done in a couple of hours.

SandScraps 07-02-2012 06:27 AM

If the repeat bothers you, why not just undo the seam and do a bit of turning and twisting. I did it on one of mine and was quite satisfied with the end result. I like the idea of 3" strips, BellaBoo.