Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Jelly Roll "race" quilt - Horrible (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/jelly-roll-race-quilt-horrible-t192039.html)

Peckish 06-18-2012 09:14 AM

I've made one and actually found the process enjoyable. I love sewing. I get kind of tired and bored if there's too much prep work (tracing, pressing, folding, etc.). I want to get to the good part and see what it looks like! I didn't care much for how the top itself turned out, so I cut the strips again in the opposite direction and made a postage stamp quilt. It looks MUCH better, lol.

Lori S 06-18-2012 09:25 AM

I have some posted , and not a fan ! If I am going to spend time and $$$ I want a different final result.

cmrenno 06-18-2012 09:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I made one with Christmas fabric and I enjoyed it. I cut my own strips from my Christmas fabrics. I gave it as a gift and it was well recieved. Its a great way to use up fabric from your stash!

DonnaC 06-18-2012 10:01 AM

I've made one (not racing, though) and I really enjoyed the process. My poor quilt is still hanging in the closet, awaiting backing, quilting and binding...gotta get that back out again! And Peckish, I love your idea about recutting the strips...

MaryLane 06-18-2012 10:05 AM

I have made a couple and though that first seam is a bear, I didn't mind them. BUT, I do them when I am working nights. There is no turning anything the wrong way or cutting it wrong and that is best when I sleep deprived. I just sew until I want to stop and leave it. I go right back to the same spot when I restart.

I am sorry you didn't enjoy it. It is good that we are all different, isn't it? Right now I should be in my sewing room finishing up stuff for my BOM meeting in 4 hours. But, I feel like if I even see another HST right now I will toss a sewing machine through the upstairs window. What was I thinking signing up for this????

TexasSunshine 06-18-2012 10:37 AM

I took a class for one, then did another one. It can be tedious, but then again it can be kind of mindless. I just turned the TV on a good show and went to work. After the first round it goes together pretty fast and I like the randomness of it. In the class I did batiks in blues and it turned out great.

Grandma Peg 06-18-2012 11:07 AM

That's too bad that you didn't enjoy making this quilt. I only made one but liked the fact that it was done in one afternoon.

BellaBoo 06-18-2012 11:57 AM

I make the jelly roll race quilts when I go to a sew day as it's mindless sewing and I can talk and socialize without concentrating on a quilt pattern. I can do up to three in one sew day. I make a lot of them in baby colors to keep on hand for baby gifts and to give to the church nursery where our guild meeting is held. I keep a supply of jelly rolls in my sew day bag and nothing to take but machine, scissors, and jelly rolls. I press all the seams to one side after the top is done. I don't press each seam separate.

Lilrain 06-18-2012 12:47 PM

sure wish I could see a picture of the finished top

MadQuilter 06-18-2012 01:12 PM

I enjoyed mine (made two in one week) but I didn't race either. That first row took more than one bobbin of thread. Yikes. But it goes together quickly. Not something that takes much creativity - just done!