Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Joanns fabric quality (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/joanns-fabric-quality-t96390.html)

babyfireo4 02-03-2011 09:26 AM

So far JA is the only place I have bought fabric. Our LQS literally has 30 to 50 bolts of fabric and that is it! Aside from wal-mart it is our only option until I can find another within driving distance.

cmw0829 02-03-2011 09:28 AM

I share your opinion, when I look at a fabric at Joann's for $10.00 a yard, I will spend that at my LQS instead.
Amen. And keep the small business in business.

quilter41 02-03-2011 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by quiltgran2
I want to visit Bellingham Wa. in the near future and go to Joanns to check out the fabric there as I've heard so much about many of you purchasing from there. Can you elaborate on the quality of the fabric for me. Is it close to LQS type quality or inferior to that? I have no idea as I've never been there before. Does it hold up very well in quilts that are being used frequently?

I have found it to be very inferior. In fact I never even go to Joann's anymore and it's only 4 mi. to the nearest one. I much prefer driving 25 mi to nearest LQS and getting there superior products. JMHO!

sjscribe 02-03-2011 10:18 AM

You can sign up to receive Joanns coupons via email or mail.

Joanns is similar to Fabricland (if that helps you).

sewwhat85 02-03-2011 10:30 AM

i agree you have to look at quality anywhere you shop not all fabrics are made equal

cjr 02-03-2011 10:33 AM

I shop JA , Hancocks & LQS. For fabric you have to be careful, where-ever you buy it. I have purchased fabric from LQS that shrank horribly.

Recent comment from LQS owner, for a class I was using a piece of fabric I purchased from JA with her fabric. She liked it and commented on nice quality. It was not the $3.99 yd stuff.

Use coupons.

Also alittle hint, if you are looking for notions, they are very scattered in the stores here. Some with quilting stuff, some in notions, some where ever.

miholmes 02-03-2011 10:39 AM

I have purchased almost all of my notions (cutting boards, gingher scissors, Olfa products,etc) from Joann Fabrics. I also buy my batting (warm & Natural)by the bolt from them. They are FANTASTIC when you buy from them when they are on sale or with a coupon.

So for those items I really love Joann Fabrics.

When it comes to their fabric.....not so much. I will echo that I think a lot of their fabrics fade terribly, even after the first wash.

My other opinion is that if you have a LQS you should try to patronize them as much as you can. They are a local business and I feel the money I save from getting discounted notions and batting, I can apply towards thread, fabric, and other items from my LQS.

In a way the savings I get from Joann Fabric, allows me to spend more money at my LQS, and keep them in business.

Just my opinion. If I had an endless supply of money I would purchase everything locally. But I don't so I need to save where I can and spend smartly.

retired2pa 02-03-2011 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
This is only MY OPINION... I do not like the quality of their quilting calico cottons, usually displayed on one wall and I believe sell for $4 and change per yard. You will easily spot it. When I first started quilting I did not know any better and my first and second quilt was 100% JA calico fabrics(goes by the store name Keepsake and in no way related to Keepsake quilting). I found the fabric to fade a lot more then fabric I bought later from LQS. In places it became threadbare with basically no wear and tear on the quilt (in a guest room that is used infrequently) and many of the lighter colors you can basically read a book through it. Oh and a few darker colors bled and continue to bleed. Unfortunately at the time of construction I did not know about Retayne.

I find their other quilting cottons way over priced. Higher than LQS prices but I do not find it to be the same quality of LQS fabric in feel so I have always passed on it and never bought it. For example I have seen batiks in JA at $12+ per yard that are not as nice as the batiks in my LQS which are priced at $8 to $10 PY. South Seas Imports brand I have seen priced at JA at $11 PY in my LQS at $8.

However, JA is a good place for notions and batting provided you have a 40 or 50% off coupon. JMHO.

I agree with you on this. I'm finding myself ordering more fabric online and just using JA as a "supplies" store.

ckcowl 02-03-2011 11:00 AM

just pay attention to what you are looking at...feel it...if it feels rough-yukky-don't buy it...if it is nice...well
have fun shopping...
some of their fabrics are worse than what walmart used to carry (at a huge mark up) some of their fabrics aren't so bad...and it does depend on the location...some of the stores (specialize) in more home dec and fashion fabrics, while others have a larger quilting department

carolaug 02-03-2011 02:45 PM

when I buy fabric to make quilts for my beds or for a gift for my close family members I buy from LQS - the quality of the fabric is very noticeable also want to support small business owners. I also find their fabric is thicker. When I am making place mats, pillows, baby quilts or lap quilts I buy Joann's fabric for cost savings.