Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Joanns fabric quality (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/joanns-fabric-quality-t96390.html)

quiltgran2 02-03-2011 08:31 AM

I want to visit Bellingham Wa. in the near future and go to Joanns to check out the fabric there as I've heard so much about many of you purchasing from there. Can you elaborate on the quality of the fabric for me. Is it close to LQS type quality or inferior to that? I have no idea as I've never been there before. Does it hold up very well in quilts that are being used frequently?

Grama Lehr 02-03-2011 08:39 AM

I have bought a lot of fabric from Joann's, I never have had a problem.
They do have some really "cheap" stuff, but you can avoid that! :wink:

amma 02-03-2011 08:39 AM

I have found wonderful fabrics at Joann's, I look it over like I do when in a LQS or at a garage sale. Some you come across is wonderful and some not so much, no matter where you shop :wink: :D:D:D

Be sure and check the local papers for sale ad coupons before you go :D:D:D

jdiane318 02-03-2011 08:41 AM

Joann's is a good place to shop. Their fabric quality various, so be careful and selective when choose your fabric and do not settle for less. They carry Kona cotton, and other quality cottons. I really like their Symphony brand of cotton blends. Make sure you sign up for their coupons and advertisements. Their 40% and 50% and their 10% and 20% of total purchase coupons make your purchases more affordable. There is some sub-par fabric that is almost like cheesecloth, so again, be careful and selective. I love our Joann's here, we have a nice one compared to others plus is is big. Books, ruler, Gingher scissors, mats, rotary cutters, buttons, and craft supplies are at most of the Joann's that I have visited. Enjoy and take your time. Many have coupons you can use as you enter the store, at least our's does.

feline fanatic 02-03-2011 08:46 AM

This is only MY OPINION... I do not like the quality of their quilting calico cottons, usually displayed on one wall and I believe sell for $4 and change per yard. You will easily spot it. When I first started quilting I did not know any better and my first and second quilt was 100% JA calico fabrics(goes by the store name Keepsake and in no way related to Keepsake quilting). I found the fabric to fade a lot more then fabric I bought later from LQS. In places it became threadbare with basically no wear and tear on the quilt (in a guest room that is used infrequently) and many of the lighter colors you can basically read a book through it. Oh and a few darker colors bled and continue to bleed. Unfortunately at the time of construction I did not know about Retayne.

I find their other quilting cottons way over priced. Higher than LQS prices but I do not find it to be the same quality of LQS fabric in feel so I have always passed on it and never bought it. For example I have seen batiks in JA at $12+ per yard that are not as nice as the batiks in my LQS which are priced at $8 to $10 PY. South Seas Imports brand I have seen priced at JA at $11 PY in my LQS at $8.

However, JA is a good place for notions and batting provided you have a 40 or 50% off coupon. JMHO.

the casual quilter 02-03-2011 08:48 AM

I shop at Joanns fairly often. While I'm no expert, my experience is that some of their fabric is really good and some is not. I look at the contents on the bolt before I buy it and I also try to determine if the thread count is OK. (I can't always figure that out) I also look to see where the fabric comes from. If it comes from Japan or Korea it seems to be good quality. The stuff from China, sometimes not so much. I've gotten to a point that I won't buy their fat quarters at all.

brushandthimble 02-03-2011 08:57 AM

I share your opinion, when I look at a fabric at Joann's for $10.00 a yard, I will spend that at my LQS instead.

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
This is only MY OPINION... I do not like the quality of their quilting calico cottons, usually displayed on one wall and I believe sell for $4 and change per yard. You will easily spot it. When I first started quilting I did not know any better and my first and second quilt was 100% JA calico fabrics(goes by the store name Keepsake and in no way related to Keepsake quilting). I found the fabric to fade a lot more then fabric I bought later from LQS. In places it became threadbare with basically no wear and tear on the quilt (in a guest room that is used infrequently) and many of the lighter colors you can basically read a book through it. Oh and a few darker colors bled and continue to bleed. Unfortunately at the time of construction I did not know about Retayne.

I find their other quilting cottons way over priced. Higher than LQS prices but I do not find it to be the same quality of LQS fabric in feel so I have always passed on it and never bought it. For example I have seen batiks in JA at $12+ per yard that are not as nice as the batiks in my LQS which are priced at $8 to $10 PY. South Seas Imports brand I have seen priced at JA at $11 PY in my LQS at $8.

However, JA is a good place for notions and batting provided you have a 40 or 50% off coupon. JMHO.

Mattee 02-03-2011 09:00 AM

I agree completely.

Originally Posted by feline fanatic

Mary M 02-03-2011 09:03 AM

I did buy from Jo Anns but feel even their better quality fabrics have gone down hill. One that I do fel is somwhat better than others is the Legacy Studio fabrics. I will buy it if the price is right. Normally it is $8.98 and up but on sale it is fairly priced. The batiks they carry have gone way out of sight for the price of it. They have fabric that is normally priced at $14.95 which I think is way out of line. See that the Kona solids they carry have gone up $1.00 per yard. I too found the Keepsake cottons they have is less than desirable for quality. I have gotten used to the LQS fabric for a nice quaility but can't always afford it. Like so many things we have been buying, lesser quality, more money and that is sad. If quality went up I think most people wouldn't feel so badly.

Candace 02-03-2011 09:04 AM

I buy most of my notions at JA. Personally, and it's all preference, I don't care for their quality of fabric. I'd rather pay the same price to get better quality fabric online, or at my LQS.

But, that being said, I still hand over quite a bit of money to JA via batting, rulers etc.