Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Joann's v. Wal-Mart (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/joanns-v-wal-mart-t124865.html)

LeeAnn 05-22-2011 06:11 AM

At Wal-Mart few days ago I purchased some patriotic fabric for $4.97 per yard. Yesterday I was at Joann's to purchase batting. I looked through their patriotic fabric and noticed they had some of the same fabric I purchased at Wal-Mart with a price of $9.99 per yard. Of course it was on sale at 30% off. So that made it $6.99 per yard. Wow, what a difference! Now I'm thinking....Wal-Mart accepts competitors coupons. I could've used my 40% off coupon at Wal-Mart and purchased my fabric for $2.99 per yard. I've never thought of using my Joann's coupon at Wal-Mart but will definitely keep it in mind.

ragqueen03 05-22-2011 06:13 AM

i didn't realize walmart accepted competitors coupons or rather i guess i never thought it would work for fabric. i wonder if you would have to have proof it is the same identical fabric? let us know how this works out for you. not a whole lot of walmarts in our area carry fabric by the bolt anymore :(

amma 05-22-2011 06:13 AM

Hmmmm I will have to keep this in mind :D:D:D

LoriEl 05-22-2011 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by ragqueen03
i didn't realize walmart accepted competitors coupons or rather i guess i never thought it would work for fabric. i wonder if you would have to have proof it is the same identical fabric? let us know how this works out for you. not a whole lot of walmarts in our area carry fabric by the bolt anymore :(

I didn't either, good to know. Walmart is much closer to me and at the $ of gas...

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 05-22-2011 06:16 AM

Our Wal-mart will not take % off coupons. They only take ones that have an exact price on them. For example, Green Giant veggies 2 for $1.

jdiane318 05-22-2011 06:32 AM

Walmart does not accept % off coupons, or honor buy one, get one free offers. Your coupon has to state the amount it will reduce for have a set price.

Dingle 05-22-2011 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by jdiane318
Walmart does not accept % off coupons, or honor buy one, get one free offers. Your coupon has to state the amount it will reduce for have a set price.

This is true. You also have to have ad in hand. In the case of fabric, I don't think they will go by just a picture. Too many differen't makers.

quilter1943 05-22-2011 07:09 AM

WalMart will march prices - if JoAnn's had advertised their fabric for $3.99 a yard, Walmart would have matched that price. It's in their ad on TV now.

ontheriver 05-23-2011 05:13 AM

Well, it's great you have a choice. I don't have a single place in all of Selma to buy fabric. I have to drive at least 45 min. one way to get to a Hobby Lobby and over an hour to get to a Joann's. Do a lot of shopping online.

Juphvi 05-23-2011 05:34 AM

Here's a goofy question, but did the fabric feel and smell the same? I've seen fabric at Walmart with the same prints as some from JoAnne's, but when I look closely I can see a difference--larger weave I think. It definitely feels different and this will sound weird, but when I iron the Walmart fabric, it smells different--not like that nice cottony smell like better fabrics?
Although recently I did see some fat quarter packs on sale at JoAnne's that looked AND felt just like Walmart's fabric--If I could've ironed them at the store, I bet they'd smell different too. ;-)