Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Juki troubles? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/juki-troubles-t104504.html)

hatchet 03-02-2011 06:43 PM

I have a Juki short arm machine and a Gracie frame, it doesn't want to do variegated thread for some reason, has anyone else had this problem?

Quiltforme 03-02-2011 06:45 PM

I have used varigated thread just fine. What is the thread doing breaking? How is it set up? is the needle the right size? Is the thread old? Try a different varigated to see if is just that one.

hatchet 03-02-2011 07:23 PM

I've tried new, old, 30wt, 40wt, new needles and different sizes! It's like it has an allergy to them!!!
So, have you had any trouble with it? Do you have a set up like mine and quilt with it?

tomilu 03-02-2011 07:36 PM

I had a juki TL98E and I had to loosen the top tension to use varigated. Now it did love Isacord, but again with a looser top tension.

Quiltforme 03-02-2011 07:44 PM

Yes I have the same setup and it is the first thread I have used on the Little Gracie II frame.
Does the thread break? or is it bunched up on the bottom of the quilt?

hatchet 03-02-2011 09:06 PM

It mostly shreds on top, just above the needle. It skips stitches and the machine starts tinging like I'm killing the poor thing.

I've played with the top and bobbin tensions and I'm pretty much an expert at those now after getting them so out of whack!! The only thread that seems to work in the machine is overlock thread.

Quiltforme 03-02-2011 09:13 PM

I would say the is a Burr somewhere or the thread is bad. Is the variegated thread a cotton or a cotton poly blend? Does it have metallic in it? Mine does not like metallic.

hatchet 03-03-2011 06:26 AM

I've tried cotton and cotton poly blend, I've never tried a metallic. It's been to the shop a couple of times for a timing problem but that's fixed. I do get a few more stitches out of the cotton poly blend but it still shreds with in a couple inches, sometimes 3.

Dandish 03-03-2011 06:42 AM

I'm not familiar with the Juki, but something I've found to work very well is to make sure your foot is just barely touching the top of surface of your quilt. Not so far down that it impedes your movement, but just above that. I have found that if my foot is too high above the surface of the quilt I have a horrible time with thread shredding. Once I figured that out, it very rarely happens to me and I use all kinds of threads. I don't know why it matters, but I think it must have something to do with how the thread gets pulled against the eye of the needle. Needle size/thread weight relationship can make a difference as well as weights of top and bobbin threads, and of course tensions. Hope this might help.

Edit: I'm assuming you were speaking of FMQing...

hatchet 03-03-2011 08:23 AM

Yes, FMQing is Free Motion Quilting, yes. I will double check that.
Thanks.