Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Just had to share (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-had-share-t173457.html)

Ginny B 12-28-2011 06:24 AM

Just had to share

My son's girlfriend has begun to get into sewing recently. She is actually a very creative person and makes jewelry, does some card making, had me show her how to knit/crochet, etc. Now that she has gotten into sewing, I am having so much fun getting her things that will make her experience easier. For Christmas I got her a rotary cutter, cutting mat and ruler and she was thrilled! I get so excited when I can share my hobbies with someone. She says that she is working on something for me but it wasn't finished in time for Christmas. I'm so excited to see what she is creating - not just because she says it's for me but because I love seeing someone use their creative skills. Since I had 4 sons, I haven't experienced sharing my love of sewing and crafting in this way with the younger generation much. Don't get me wrong, my boys love what I make for them and all and are very supportive but it's not the same as experiencing it with someone else getting excited about the process. I'm loving it!

DianneK 12-28-2011 06:29 AM

How lucky you are to have her so interested in crafts and quilting. My daughter is a natural born 'kitchen'
gal. She can bake and cook circles around me! She hates any crafts!!! Hopefully one of the granddaughters will follow in my footsteps

jaciqltznok 12-28-2011 06:31 AM

lucky you...I miss the MENTORING....need to find me an outlet to do that again!

huntannette 12-28-2011 06:31 AM

awesome.....fun to share creative juices with someone..

AliKat 12-28-2011 08:07 AM

That is truly a Blessing! I am glad you can experience this ... and that your DIL can too. Family stories in the making to be passed down.

ali

kamaiarigby 12-28-2011 08:44 AM

My son had a girlfriend once who I taught to do parchwork, she even bought a machine off me, she never looked back andvwihin six months she had sold a quilt on a online auction site we have here in New Zealand.
My biggest joy is to teach young girls to sew/quilt, they are delightful, and appreciate your help

crafty pat 12-28-2011 08:50 AM

How wonderful to have someone to pass your talent on to. My DDIL;s work and with kids have no time for sewing and my DD has so much going on she has no time for it. She wants to learn so I bought her a brother runway to learn on and hope she will find the time for it.

LindaM49 12-28-2011 09:51 AM

My daughter was never interested in crafty things...or knitting, crocheting or sewing. Her speciality is cooking and baking. My son's X wife was into BUYING crafty things but not making them. His girlfriend doesn't have any hobbies or ambition to find one...lol. My 17 year old daughter is in Culinary Arts in high school and she is an excellent cook and baker. But...she also loves to sew and I had told her I would give her my present machine when I buy a new one. Now she's not sure since she said she doesn't know when she will have time to sew between school and working...we'll see. She wanted me to teach her how to knit...that didn't go very well. She was getting it here and then I sent her home with yarn and a pair of needles and she said she screwed it up. If she still wants to learn, I will show her again later. Right now she is getting ready to be in a cooking competition in Lancaster County...her teachers begged her to do it since they have said she's the best student they have ever had in Culinary. That sure was great to hear. It's a day long thing where she has to make a cake from scratch and then decorate it. I would love to see it but...no parents or grandparents allowed.

TexasSunshine 12-28-2011 12:19 PM

My daughter is not interested in crafts of any kind, but her daughter, my only blood grandchild is very interested in crafty things and likes sewing. We have made several things together. I love it.

Ginny B 12-28-2011 06:41 PM

Linda, good luck to your daughter in the competition. How very exciting.