Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is it just my crowd or what? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-my-crowd-what-t111825.html)

#1piecemaker 03-29-2011 05:19 PM

We are always making quilts for family and friends. But, have you ever noticed that members of quilting clubs never make a quilt for each other? Is it because we think that since they make them, they wouldn't enjoy getting one from someoneelse? I've given several quilts as gifts, but even I am guilty of not giving any to my quilting friends. Am I alone? Or have you noticed this too? In fact, nobody has ever given me a quilt. My MIL gave me several tops. But not one that was finished and all ready to cuddle in. Maybe we all think that since they quilt, they could easily make their own and wouldn't want one someoneelse made. I don't know about you, but I'd kinda like to have one that a friend made for me. I think it would still mean a lot that they thought enough to give me one, even though I have 25 or so of my own. Have you ever noticed this or am I the lone ranger???

purplemem 03-29-2011 05:23 PM

I gave my best friend and quilting buddy a quilt for her wedding present. I haven't given myself one, yet. Not a whole one that I did all of like hers.

dpparris 03-29-2011 05:26 PM

My mother has made all 4 of her children and all the grandchildren quilts and she told me she wanted me to make her and my dad one for Christmas. I told her I thought she had made them one, and she said she had, but it was not the same as one that I made. So I am going to make theme one.

dunster 03-29-2011 05:31 PM

Our sewing group has several times made a quilt for another member, sometimes because of illness, sometimes because of a new grandchild.

SuziC 03-29-2011 05:31 PM

I never thought of that! I think you are right. I never think to give a quilt to a quilt maker! But i always think others do better work than me!

sueisallaboutquilts 03-29-2011 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by dpparris
My mother has made all 4 of her children and all the grandchildren quilts and she told me she wanted me to make her and my dad one for Christmas. I told her I thought she had made them one, and she said she had, but it was not the same as one that I made. So I am going to make theme one.

Awww, that is so sweet!!
I got one from my quilt group when I moved to Syracuse. It's beautiful. I need to post it sometime. Five years later we moved back to Columbus and I asked the group if I had to give it back. We all had a good laugh :D
That's the only quilt I've been given (that was made just for me) and I have to say I've never given another quilter a quilt, but have given blocks for a quilt.

patchsamkim 03-29-2011 05:55 PM

Have never been given a quilt...but we have done a lot of exchanges, making blocks for each other, fabric swaps for specific projects, round robins, etc...but, yes, it would be nice to have quilts from each other...our group is large though...there are 12 of us...so it could take awhile to make one for everyone!

LaurieE 03-29-2011 06:01 PM

I find that I give quilted items to those who don't quilt. I think it's because I figure if you know how to quilt, you can always make yourself one. That even applied to my granddaughters. I didn't make them quilts because their mother (my daughter) quilts. I crocheted them afghans instead. But I've learned the error of my thinking, at least with them, and am in the process of making them each a quilt.

emerald46 03-29-2011 06:44 PM

15 years ago when I belonged to Genie Online Quilters we had secret pals. For my birthday that year my secret pal made me a beautiful blue and white double Irish Chain quilt. I cried for days everytime I thought about it. We did not know each other, just chatting and doing swaps online. It was just the sweetest most unexpected gift I have ever received.

TonnieLoree 03-29-2011 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by SuziC
I never thought of that! I think you are right. I never think to give a quilt to a quilt maker! But i always think others do better work than me!

Guilty Suzi! Me too. :mrgreen: