Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   just needed to vent (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-needed-vent-t17393.html)

Jamie 03-08-2009 02:46 PM

So I had never done a pattern before, always done my own thing...I found the perfect pattern and a quilt that said it was quick and easy...I can usualy finish a quilt within a week...now I started this a week ago...I got so tired just cutting the pieces for it ( which took me two days..) None of them are now the same size...I have 15 out of 30 of the blocks completed...this has already taking me a week of working night and day..and None of them are the same size!!! Im already frustraited, and im not even done sewing the pieces together to complete the blocks...I don't want to give up..but boy am I frustraited...on top of just finishing the blocks now I also have to figure out how to get them the same size....ugh! well thanks for listening....sugestions always welcome..I'm working on the crayon box quilt from Quiltville.com

sharon b 03-08-2009 02:49 PM

Just take a break.. step back and relax... things will work out . Other than that not sure what else to say, except we all have those days, weeks, months, years.. etc... Maybe post some pictures and someone here will be able to help you get it back together and on track
Sharon

farscapegal 03-08-2009 02:54 PM

Sorry you have had so much trouble. I never cut all the pieces out when I work on a quilt. That way if I really hate the quilt I just have a few pieces that are cut. I usually will take the blocks apart and use the pieces in another quilt.

I am not sure how to help you fix it. It looks like all the blocks are the same, you just turn them in different directions when you put it together.

Sybil

Connie1948 03-08-2009 03:01 PM

When I do a quilt that is taking too long, I take a few days break from it and do something quick or simple such as put on a binding or get something ready to quilt. Then go back to the project that is giving me a headache

Jamie 03-08-2009 03:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
sorry for the lousy pics, good camera at hubbys work

these blacks aren't finished yet...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]28620[/ATTACH]

Maride 03-08-2009 03:09 PM

When I find that my block are not the same size I
1. Make sure the seams are all the same size
2. If they are all OK and you cut all the pieces the same size, press the block and use some spary starch or stacr substitute. Dryel has a substitute that works great and smells very good.

Sometimes we press a little too fast and your seams are not as opened as we wish, and the block will not be as big as it is supposed to be.

3. If you check and everythings seems OK, check the size of your smallest one and match the others to that one.

Before you cut anything, please check how your seams are pressed. Sometimes they seem fine and when you are quilting you noticed that one or two were not well pressed and that's when you get your top to bunch up while you are quilting it.

Please, don't ask me how I know.

maria

Shadow Dancer 03-08-2009 03:13 PM

LOL Maria I know how you know, I'm so glad I am not the only one to learn the hard way. :)

Jamie 03-08-2009 03:55 PM

well I know that the pieces are not the same size, because I got overly tired, and was working till 3 in the morning cutting pieces, that was part of my frustraition here :(

Machel 03-08-2009 04:06 PM

It's not all a loss. You could always sew them together like making another piece of fabric. They have quilted jacket patterns or vest. I hope it all works out for you.

patricej 03-08-2009 04:29 PM

they're too good lookin' to abandon. just sew them together in long columns, or across rows. center each block on the seam with the one you're sewing it to. when you've done the row, take a deep breath and just even up that sucker. when you've done that, sew the columns/rows togther to form the top and square it off.

nobody but you will know the blocks were supposed to match perfectly. it will look deliciously random. :wink: