Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Just a 'thing' I have about quilts (labels)..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-thing-i-have-about-quilts-labels-t219705.html)

maviskw 04-23-2013 05:41 AM

If you don't like how you write, write it anyway. Then print it also. A written signature is very special. Just pretend you are a doctor, like someone else said on this thread.

yorkie luv 04-23-2013 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw (Post 6020805)
If you don't like how you write, write it anyway. Then print it also. A written signature is very special. Just pretend you are a doctor, like someone else said on this thread.

I have been accused of being a doctor, when people see my signature. ;-)

adamae 04-23-2013 05:52 AM

When all the work done in the quilt is mine, I sign it somewhere. Usually initials and the date completed. I try to place it inconspicuously and simply hand sew with small stitches in the top only or quilt it through all layers. In addition, it may carry a label on the back. I thought of this when I started making charity quilts where a group name is on the back. My identifying marks are not easily found. At one of our group meetings I told fellow quilters about this and they had not noticed the signings. It is fun for me to do this. I emphasize that if anyone else has helped with the quilt I don't do it.

mckwilter 04-23-2013 06:33 AM

I made a quilt for a family auction and didn't put a label on it. The winner of the quilt brought it to me and asked me to sign it. Luckily, I had a black Sharpie in my purse, so I put my name, the date, and the event, but I hated writing on the quilt. So ever since, I have put labels on my quilts. I will take a piece of muslin and bind it with the fabrics I used in the blocks. I also sew the label into the corner when I am sewing the binding on, so two sides are machined in and two sides are hand sewn. I don't sell my quilts. Never have, never will. Each recipient knows that the quilt is special, just for him or her. If I gave a quilt to someone and they gave it away, I would be heartbroken, unless it went to a son or daughter who would treasure it, too.

loriea 04-23-2013 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by willferg (Post 6018628)
I'm probably alone on this, but I don't put any label on my quilts. If the person I give it to passes it along to someone else down the road, someone who doesn't know me, I don't want that person to see my name or the name of the person for whom it was made. The quilt becomes that person's quilt. I guess for me the quilt takes on a life of its own and makes its journey, and I don't feel any need to be part of that...

Just me!

I am with you on this one.

Peckish 04-23-2013 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by mckwilter (Post 6020940)
I hated writing on the quilt.

Somewhat off topic.... Can you imagine how Daphne Greig felt when she traveled from Canada to the Quilt Market in Minneapolis and the US Customs agent forced her to write "sample" IN PEN on all of her display quilts.

http://daphnegreig.blogspot.com/2010...et-report.html

AZ Jane 04-23-2013 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by yorkie luv (Post 6020792)
My hand writing is so horrible. I hate writing anything by hand. Although I do understand what you are saying. and I believe that a hand signed quilt would be more personal. But I would also have to have it printed or no one could read it.

I print out what I want to say on computer (except signature, I do use my signature as I have recently found mamy of my family), transfer to fabric, then embrioder.

MargeD 04-23-2013 07:54 AM

I try very hard to label my quilts, even the ones I make for myself, although I sometimes forget. However, when I am making a quilt for a family reunion, I make sure I label the quilt with my name, city, state and date of the reunion. I like to think that this is my way of being remembered but I also get a great deal of joy and satisfaction in making the quilts.

kplumbridge 04-23-2013 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by willferg (Post 6018628)
I'm probably alone on this, but I don't put any label on my quilts. If the person I give it to passes it along to someone else down the road, someone who doesn't know me, I don't want that person to see my name or the name of the person for whom it was made. The quilt becomes that person's quilt. I guess for me the quilt takes on a life of its own and makes its journey, and I don't feel any need to be part of that...

Just me!

I agree with you - I don't put labels on 99% of my quilts. They are almost always gifted to others and I really expect them to be used and washed, so they will probably be worn out before they come close to "antique." I don't make any "decorative" quilts - my personal feeling is that if I spend all that time making a quilt - I want myself or someone else to enjoy snuggling it it on a daily basis - not pack it away for safe keeping and preservation. Even the most intricate/labor intensive quilts don't have quite the same appeal to me if it can't be used. This is not to say that I wouldn't want someone to take good care of a quilt that I made for them - I do want that - but not to the extent that the quilt isn't used all the time.

For example, I made my daughter a quilt that had a great amount of work in it, for her bed. Her room gets alot of morning sun and curtains and bedding fade. But, I love walking into her room and seeing it on her bed - she loves it alot as well and loves having it. The "Mom, I love my quilt" that I frequently get from her is a wonderful thing. The quilt will probably be ragged and faded by the time she goes off to college, but we will still have the happy memories of using it. That's more important to me than if she decided to save it for her future children. You never know what the future holds - so not using lovely or special things could become a major regret.

I do however, think a quilt should be labeled if you are expecting it to be handed down for generations to come/being donated to a museum/going into some type of quilt collection. It's always nice to know the history of these quilts.

sulyle 04-23-2013 08:24 AM

I hadn't thought about it that way. I still like an embroidered label because it lasts longer but maybe I'll start signing it so my ancestors can see my actual signature.