Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Kids' Quilts from Downy (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/kids-quilts-downy-t33777.html)

makin 01-10-2010 04:39 PM

I'm new at quilting and thought this would be a good project to wet my feet on. Well, I didn't realize the cut fabrics would be so off size, nothing matches up so the top looks awful. What to do? Should I rip it all out and re-size the blocks thereby making the whole quilt a little smaller? Or do I go to a fabric store, buy new fabric and start over? It's such a worthwhile cause I hate to not complete it? Suggestions?

sandpat 01-10-2010 04:41 PM

Can you show us a pic of the problem?

Jim's Gem 01-10-2010 04:43 PM

Hmmm, mine were all cut the right size. I'm sorry that you are having the problem. You can just make the quilt a little smaller, I think. Or if the cost of new fabrics is not going to be a burden that would probably be fine too.
Of course, here I am dispensing advice and I have only made one quilt for kids and have not even finished it yet. There might be other's who really know the best answer!

katier825 01-10-2010 04:51 PM

Mine were cut the correct size, but if they weren't, this is what I'd do. I'd measure and cut the larger pieces to the smaller size, then assemble. If you feel it's too small, you can always add an extra border.

Did they send you the one that alternates 4 patch and large square? That seems to be what most people get. I just got 2 more, but haven't started them yet.

littlehud 01-10-2010 09:00 PM

Mine was OK, but show us a pic. You may have got a bad one.

genghis khan 01-10-2010 10:44 PM

I had no troubles with mine either, if you can post a pic so we can see and be able to better help.

retrogirl02 01-10-2010 10:51 PM

I wonder if the directions provided don't match the kit. Check the site for downloadable patterns to see if it might be a different version.

My kit was great. I'm not sure that it's a good first project, though. While the patterns are beginner friendly, there is a short turn around time and they ask that you return 2 completed quilts for each kit. Do you have a quilter near you who could help complete this?

Posting pictures of the cuts might also help. Several people on the board have already completed projects and may be able to advise you.

Margie 01-11-2010 05:53 AM

OH MY, I just received a box from them with eight quilt kits. I sure hope they are cut correctly. I wont be able to start until next week.

Margie

makin 01-11-2010 08:03 AM

Wow, thanks for all your help and advice. I don't know yet how to post pictures. I think I will take what I have apart and square it all up and hope it doesn't become too small. Yes I got the 4-patch with larger squares version. I'll be back begging for help if this doesn't work. And, I'll learn how to post pix. Thank you all. :-)

SherriB 01-11-2010 09:12 AM

I have made 4 quilts for Downy Quilts. Three of the kits were cut perfect, but one was not. The long srips were cut wonky and I had problems getting everything to sqare up.