Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Kona vs Kona Pimatex? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/kona-vs-kona-pimatex-t111489.html)

Kas 03-28-2011 11:35 AM

Can anyone tell me the diff. between the regular Kona cotton (too rough for me) and the Kona Pimatex? Is the Pimatex thinner, softer, what? I ask because I was trying to find Southern Belle muslin online and the page that came up also had both kinds of Kona. It just didn't tell the difference between them. Now I am confused. Thanks!

greensleeves 03-28-2011 11:40 AM

I think Pima has a higher thread count-feels smoother and softer.

ghostrider 03-28-2011 11:49 AM

Kona cotton is a 60x60 thread count...the weight is 4.4 oz per sq yard. Kona Pimatex is a 133x72 thread count..the weight is 3.7 oz per sq yard. That's not reversed, the Pimatex is lighter weight.

Kas 03-28-2011 12:08 PM

Ok, so softer, yet thinner. Hmmm. I am going to need some black to finish my oldest son's crazy log cabin. I need it for the sashing, but the blocks themselves are on a muslin foundation. Which would be better to keep consistancy on the feel of the top. I am planning on entering it into the fair and don't want to get counted off for uneveness in the thickness of the overall quilt.

ghostrider 03-28-2011 01:25 PM

Have you considered Moda Bella for the sashing? It's a 60x60 broadcloth, like the regular Kona, but it has a much softer hand due to more tightly twisted threads and a nice silky glow (not a sheen) to the surface.

Kona's roughness is due to loosely twisted threads and it does soften up quite a bit after washing and machine drying. I've used both Kona and Bella in the same quilt, and they play very well together, despite their 'twisted' differences. :lol:

Once your quilt is finished, I don't think the thickness differences would be very noticeable, if at all, but if you don't like using resular Kona, I think maybe you should take a look at the Bella over the Pimatex. I can send you a sample of Bella and regular Kona in the same color if that would help you decide.

Just a note, because of the prominant grain of the Pimatex (unequal thread numbers in warp and weft), cutting can be tricky and stretching can be significant. Something to consider for a show quilt.

Kas 03-28-2011 10:15 PM

I guess I will skip the Pimatex. Quiltworks Northwest has both the Bella and the Kona. I don't know if they have Southern Belle muslin, too, but I have been looking for an excuse to get up there! Ghostrider, that was so sweet of you to offer me the samples! Another reason to love this group!

ghostrider 03-29-2011 05:29 AM

Hey, if we didn't still have loads of snow here, I'd have sent a hosta with it, too. ;) Glad you found a reason for a road trip!!

Kas 03-29-2011 09:52 PM

Do you love hostas, too? I am so excited with all the eyes poking up already! I have several to get planted that I got last month at the PNW garden show.

And Quiltworks NW didn't have the Bella in black, but they did have some Bali black batik! I got some of that. It is not see-through, which I love, but it isn't heavy weight either. And no Southern Belle. Wah!