Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   LA Machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/la-machines-t157115.html)

misscarol 09-30-2011 08:53 PM

Does anyone here use a non-stitch regulated longarm quilting machine? Just curious :)

ladyshuffler 09-30-2011 11:03 PM

I will be watching this for comments.......

ckcowl 10-01-2011 03:19 AM

i do-
my machine does have a stitch regulator on it- i havent turned it on in at least 5 years-i hate it!
i do have a friend who used to come over and quilt on my machine-til she bought her own-she always used the stitch regulator-
i NEVER use it!
it makes me crazy to even think about it.
when i first started quilting the instructor believed you should learn (control) before you used (cruise control)
so i learned to quilt without it-
then when i tried it --- i just hated it - and never really got the hang of using it--(never really gave it a chance-practiced with it) so---it never gets turned on- unless someone else is using my machine- then often they decide they would rather go without it too...for me it was a Huge waste of $$
probably really depends on how you learn-
but i agree with my first instructor-
i had to learn to drive (in control) before i got to turn on the cruise control- and i think you should learn to quilt before you get to use the (cruise control) too. instead of depending on the machine to do it for you=
ranks right up there with learning to add-without a calculator...just old fashioned thinker i guess

PaperPrincess 10-01-2011 05:35 AM

I have a regulator on mine too, but I've been trying to learn to do without. I was pretty good with consistent stitch length when FMQ ing on my regular sewing machine, so I keep telling myself I should be able to do this too. Doing without gives you one less thing to go wrong.

dmyers 10-01-2011 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i do-
my machine does have a stitch regulator on it- i havent turned it on in at least 5 years-i hate it!
i do have a friend who used to come over and quilt on my machine-til she bought her own-she always used the stitch regulator-
i NEVER use it!
it makes me crazy to even think about it.
when i first started quilting the instructor believed you should learn (control) before you used (cruise control)
so i learned to quilt without it-
then when i tried it --- i just hated it - and never really got the hang of using it--(never really gave it a chance-practiced with it) so---it never gets turned on- unless someone else is using my machine- then often they decide they would rather go without it too...for me it was a Huge waste of $$
probably really depends on how you learn-
but i agree with my first instructor-
i had to learn to drive (in control) before i got to turn on the cruise control- and i think you should learn to quilt before you get to use the (cruise control) too. instead of depending on the machine to do it for you=
ranks right up there with learning to add-without a calculator...just old fashioned thinker i guess

I like how you think! Funny I use cruise control all the time when I drive, it makes my husband nuts. He can tell when he drives my car and the mileage is off. I do use cruise control on my LA and I can agree with you on your points, I do want to learn to use mine without. I like the way my pebbles look without cruise control.

suezquilts 10-01-2011 05:51 AM

I have stitch regulated, but when I'm free handing I dislike it because of the noise it makes.
The reason they have it on the machines is to give the stitches consistencey. Which is important on certain quilts.
I have tried out a few machines and I think all "stitch regulators" are not created equal.
When I'm doing a show quilt that the stitches are counted it is best to use it.

Rose Marie 10-01-2011 06:24 AM

Cruise Control makes a cruise control and a stitch regulator.
I dont have a long arm machine, just a strait stitch with a 9 inch throat.
My setup came with a cruise control but bought the stitch regulator for $500 dollars extra. I love it.
It dosnt make any noise and it keeps all my stitchs even length, which I was never able to master without it.

amandasgramma 10-01-2011 06:30 AM

I had SR on the old machine -- and hated it for some of the reasons above. I have it on my new machine and love it. Face it -- I'm do old to learn control --- it keeps my stitches regular and I LIKE that -- I don't have time to worry about what I do........

the casual quilter 10-01-2011 02:19 PM

I have a regulator on mine but don't really use it. I find that my stitch length is fine without it and the machine is a little bit quieter if I'm not in regulated mode.