Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   LA Quilter's "going rate" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/la-quilters-going-rate-t207234.html)

An Arm Long 11-30-2012 08:14 AM

I too am thinking about starting a business and I too have a Crown Jewel. I have had it for about a year and a half and have done about 25 quilts on it. Some have been for others in our guild who are doing charity baby quilts. Only one was not charity for a 92 year old friend for her great great grandbaby. All have been free so far, but now I am being asked to do quilts for others for pay. I do meander, pantographs, and some freehand. Some are looking quite good. I got the forms for a business license, trade name and tax forms. But I haven't done anything with them yet. I still have that fear that once I start a business, it will no longer be fun. I absolutely LOVE longarm quilting - much more than piecing. I wonder how longarmers who have businesses feel about the work now. Do they still love it?

An Arm Long 11-30-2012 08:24 AM

Mooshie, are you aware of Baby Lock's Getaway weekend in St. Louis? It is 4 days 8AM to 8PM with Kay Capps Cross. I think they are still doing it. You get your own machine and frame to work on the whole time and if you have computer too, they let you use one of those also. I went and it was an expense that I can write off for my business. I had to pay for transportation and room in St. Louis. When I bought my machine at a quilt show, Kay was there and I was able to get the cost of the class included as free. It was absolutely wonderful and well worth the cost. I felt so comfortable with my Crown Jewel afterwards. PM me if you would like more info.

Normabeth 11-30-2012 10:35 AM

That is VERY reasonable - I paid my LAQS $80 plus tax for a twin size last week. I supplied the top, batting and backing and they supplied the thread.

mooshie 11-30-2012 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by An Arm Long (Post 5689608)
Mooshie, are you aware of Baby Lock's Getaway weekend in St. Louis? It is 4 days 8AM to 8PM with Kay Capps Cross. I think they are still doing it. You get your own machine and frame to work on the whole time and if you have computer too, they let you use one of those also. I went and it was an expense that I can write off for my business. I had to pay for transportation and room in St. Louis. When I bought my machine at a quilt show, Kay was there and I was able to get the cost of the class included as free. It was absolutely wonderful and well worth the cost. I felt so comfortable with my Crown Jewel afterwards. PM me if you would like more info.

I was not aware of this retreat. It sounds like a lot of fun though! :) What time of year do they usually have it? It could be tricky getting there and back for me as I have 5 kids in school. But that doesn't mean it'll never work out. If I plan far enough in advance it could work out.

needlefruit 12-01-2012 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by KyTriplets (Post 5688759)
I think you'll find the majority of longarm quilters price by the square inch since everyone's "queen" is a different size "queen". Of course, there are also charges for batting, binding, backing, etc. For a basic meander quilting I charge .017/sq inch. For an actual edge to edge quilting pantograph I charge .02/sq inch. Custom starts at .037/sq in and goes up from there. If you are interested, you can check out my pricing on my website- QuiltedJoy.com It is always a good idea, though, to see what the going rate is in your area. Keep track of your time spent working and determine what you are actually making an hour. Operating a longarm machine takes practice and practice takes time so don't lowball your pricing. You are selling your skill and expertise. :) I'll get off my soapbox now.

KyTriplets's suggestions are totally in line with the going rate in South Central Texas. Every LAer I know charges by the square inch measurement of the unquilted quilt top, taking into consideration the quality of the piecing, etc. You really need to see the top before you quote. A nice, square, securely stitched top is one thing; a top that needs special handling because of open seams here and there, a wavy border, etc. is quite another thing. Remember what KyTriplets said: Don't lowball your pricing!!! I made that mistake at first and ended up working myself stupid for nothing.

BMP 12-01-2012 06:19 AM

Width x Length x .012 is the fee in this area when top, batting and backing included . Sometimes extra charges for pressing/cutting the backing ...
Example 84 wide x 100 long =8000 x .012= $96.00

mshollysd 12-01-2012 07:05 AM

If it is for charity or very simple quilting, I will go as little as a penny a square inch. Most of the time it is 1 1/2 cents per square inch for what I call mindful meandering, which is freehand quilting. You really can't go wrong on that. I do charge about $3-5 for thread depending how close it is stitched. I only use the Egyptian top thread and bottom line bottom thread which are very expensive but my machine doesn't get linty with them. It isn't the whole cost of the thread but nobody has complained about it.

cat-on-a-mac 12-01-2012 07:16 AM

sorry, wrong thread ...

Belfrybat 12-01-2012 07:29 AM

The LQS in town (rural Texas) charges $65.00 for twin which includes polyester batting and binding the quilt if the customer provides the extra fabric. Warm and natural cotton batting adds another $12-15.00. Full sized is $75, queen $85, and king $95.00. They post their min and max dimensions for each size. This is for an overall medium to large stippling or looping pattern or a simple laser pattern (can't remember the name). Anything fancy costs extra, of course.

carolynjo 12-01-2012 07:42 AM

Good advice here! Do get your customers to "sign off" on their design so they can't say they don't like when it is finished. Have plenty of pictures for them to look at so they have some idea of what the finished quilt will look like. Good luck. You must be well-organized if you are to succeed.