Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   labeling your quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/labeling-your-quilt-t79780.html)

AlisaQuilts 11-30-2010 04:24 PM

I finally made my first quilt!!! I want to put a label on the back, but I am not sure just how to do so. any advice would be appreciated!

littlehud 11-30-2010 04:36 PM

I just hand sew mine on. After filling it out first. I put mine in the lower right hand corner of the back but you can put it anywhere you want.

ssnare 11-30-2010 04:37 PM

What is the theme of your quilt? What are the colors? Picture , please.

carolaug 11-30-2010 04:55 PM

A friend of mine uses a certain material for one small area in every quilt...that is her trade mark....I sorta like that better than sewing a name/date. I have not done anything to mine yet...I thought about putting on a kitty button on each quilt. If I give the quilt to someone I am sure they will remember the year,

ckcowl 11-30-2010 05:19 PM

i always include the name of the quilt, my name, city, state, date (month/year) and depending on who is getting it i include care instructions for the quilt. if it is for a specific person the label at times gets quite personal or even a story. these i usually put on a lower corner of the back, i fuse mine down before adding the binding and fold the binding over to include 2 sides (bottom/side)
sometimes i print it from the computer onto fusable printer fabric, sometimes i write them with a pigma pen, sometimes i quilt the label as part of the quilting. i think every quilt should have a label.

gale 11-30-2010 05:25 PM

I iron the label to freezer paper first, so that I can write on it without it moving all over. Then I peel off the freezer paper, press under the edges, and hand sew it on. I should mention I've only done this once.

fleurdelisquilts.com 11-30-2010 05:30 PM

I always include the name of the quilt, my name, the size, date (month/year) and any other pertinent information, especially the name of the person who inspired me to make the quilt or the name of the person the quilt is for. I write the info with a sharpie pen and press it before hand sewing it onto the back of the quilt. When considering putting the quilt in a show, I sew the label on the quilt before quilting or write the info directly on the backing.

fleurdelisquilts.com 11-30-2010 05:31 PM

Oh, I forgot.....congratulations on finishing your first quilt. Has the bug gotten you? It took a huge bite out of me! I am so hooked, it's sad.

AlisaQuilts 11-30-2010 05:34 PM

Should the label be of muslin? and where do I get care instructions for the quilt?

AlisaQuilts 11-30-2010 05:42 PM

Thanks, yes it has! I am making four lap quilts for Christmas. and I am looking for more! I am especially looking for a boutique tissue box cover that is drawn up to the top like a small purse. I saw it a a craft show and can't find the pattern! it is driving me nutty!

Originally Posted by fleurdelisquilts.com
Oh, I forgot.....congratulations on finishing your first quilt. Has the bug gotten you? It took a huge bite out of me! I am so hooked, it's sad.