Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Lancaster Quilt Show (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lancaster-quilt-show-t182123.html)

lsb142 03-08-2012 06:42 PM

Lancaster Quilt Show

I'm really confused about the number of quilt shows going on in Lancaster next weekend. I'm hoping someone can't help. Are there three different shows going on at the same time? Where is a good place to stay?

Linda

ragamuffin 03-08-2012 07:01 PM

I'm from DE and there are a lot of places on Rt. 30, from the 283 bypass (from Harrisburg) on thru towards Gap. I was just up there a few weeks ago and the girls at Zook's Quilt Shop in Intercourse told me the quilt show was moved back to the Host Farm and the venders are across Rt. 30 at the Continental Inn. But I checked the website for the AQS show and that is downtown at the Convention Center, which is west of the 283 bypass. Pick up the yellow map brochure and it shows most of the good places in the area. The map is free. I plan to go to the quilt show, too, but I do not know which day. I may stay over to get them all in. It is better to do that then to drive to Paducah or Houston. I may never get to those that are far away. Have fun, lots of eating places too. Wear sneaks or something comfortable, bring lots of money or CC.

joysewer 03-08-2012 07:56 PM

The shows are at the Convention Center, The Host and another place across from the Host. There are plenty of hotels around Lancaster but I don't know how booked they will be with the shows. With the amount of hotels that there are, you shouldn't have a problem finding one.

#1piecemaker 03-08-2012 07:59 PM

Sounds like plenty of fun!! Have a good time if you get to go. And, take plenty of pictures!!

Monroe 03-08-2012 08:41 PM

For many years the show was at the Lancaster Host, with a smaller spinoff show and vendors across the street at the Continental. About 6 years ago I'd read the woman with the legal rights to the show wanted to retire and sell her ownership. Instead the AQS started their own show in downtown Lancaster at the Convention Center, and the Continental show continued separately as the Spring Blossom show. Seems like this year the Continental show has spread back across the street to the Lancaster Host. Lots of free parking at the Continental. Parking at the Host cost $5 or $10 when the show was on site. There's a shuttle bus running to some area hotels including the Continental from the downtown show, but I'm guessing there's a fee. Check the AQS site for sure. I can't go this year, but envy those who can. If you get a chance visit the textile museum downtown- walking distance from the Convention Center. It's in a glorious renovated bank with vaulted tiled ceilings. Unfortunately they are in financial distress, rarely open, and you may never get another chance.

JustAbitCrazy 03-09-2012 01:24 AM

I know of two shows being held at the same weekend: the AQS show downtown (at the Marriott, I think), and the one at the Lancaster Host Resort. If you can't get a room at either hotel, try to find a place with free taxi service. One which I can recommend is the Lancaster Arts Hotel, which offers free unlimited taxi service within 10 miles. It is a bit pricey (approx $150/night), but well worth it because of the free taxi service, and because it is beautiful and clean and you won't bring home bedbugs. My group stayed there last year and we are staying there again this year. You can call them directly and make a reservation. You don't have to go through the visitor's bureau to get a reservation with them. It s great show. Have fun!

Holice 03-09-2012 04:45 AM

Yes there are three locations in Lancaster. Downtown AQS, A smaller show with exhibits and some vendors at the Host and the usual vendors at the Continental.
Motels raise their rates considerably during the show week. You can find reasonable priced motels if you go a little distance from both downtown and east around the Host and Continental. Days Inn which is north from the Outlet Malls toward Intercourse Pa was always reasonable. I believe the exhibit at the Host this year is geared to machine quilting. The Stencil Co will be at the Continental

lsb142 03-09-2012 05:55 AM

Thanks everyone. I'm a new quilter and have never been to a show. I'm really looking forward to this one.