Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Lap Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lap-quilts-t114419.html)

deb24 04-08-2011 12:52 AM

I am thinking about making Lap Quilts. I want to do them for nursing homes, I am wondering about the size, if they can be a tie quilts, and about the batting. If I can use fleese for the back and not put a batting in? I am a newbee at quilting, and thought this might be a good thing to learn with and try the different kinds of quilts. Any ideals?

plainpat 04-08-2011 01:03 AM

I have no ideas about fleece....but others will know.Keep in mind,quilts used in a nursing home will be tossed in a huge washer using very hot water & then into a very hot dryer.They don't have time nor small washers for doing them any other way.
When my Mom was a patient, they asked me to bring the twin size quilt home,as some patients tried to grab it & caused upsets.Wasn't their fault, they just liked pretty colors.
BTW.....sounds like a nice way to learn.Good luck.

AlwaysQuilting 04-08-2011 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by deb24
I am thinking about making Lap Quilts. I want to do them for nursing homes, I am wondering about the size, if they can be a tie quilts, and about the batting. If I can use fleese for the back and not put a batting in? I am a newbee at quilting, and thought this might be a good thing to learn with and try the different kinds of quilts. Any ideals?

Yes! Its such a good idea. I visit nursing homes for my church and they love having something to cover their legs with. I make mine with fleece backing, No batting, and most of them are "tied" (I cut 2" lengths of 6 strand embroidery thread, lay it flat on the spots where I want it tied, zig zag stitch in place a few times over the center of the embroidery thread, then tie the ends of the embroidery thread in a square knot over the zig zag.). It's the zig zag stitches that are "tying" the quilt, the square knot on top is just decoration. I trim the ends of the embroidery thread after the square knot is made. Yes they will be washed in a huge washer but they hold up.
Any color is good. Although I make some with "manly" colors and plaids and others with brighter colors for the ladies.
They really like the fleece backing because it's soft and feels warm right away. They also like minky on the back but it tends to slide off their legs.

amma 04-08-2011 09:00 AM

I just make sure that they will stand up to the commercial washers :D:D:D

ghostrider 04-08-2011 09:06 AM

I suggest you talk to the staff at the nursing home you plan to give them to. That way you'll be sure what they would most appreciate.

dunster 04-08-2011 09:09 AM

You can also use flannel for the backs, makes a nice warm quilt. It's very nice of you to think of doing this. I agree with ghostrider - check with the nursing home to see what works.

rexie 04-08-2011 02:50 PM

I used to work in the laundry of a nursing home and I will tell you, those dryers get HOT. A lot of the nursing homes around here don't even use lap quilts anymore, but if you do make them for that reason, make sure the fabric will hold up under the bleach and hot dryers.