Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Large scraps (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/large-scraps-t223352.html)

Bevsie 06-09-2013 07:42 PM

Large scraps

Hi,

I was planning on making a scrappy string quilt, but realized today while going through my scraps that I have many large scraps. I mean like 1/4 to 1/2+ yard scraps and am thinking I really don't want to cut these large pieces into thin strips.
So, my question is, what's a good pattern for large scraps?
I am thinking of maybe ordering the large Tumbler Template from MSQC, I have the one for 5" squares and the mini one, so could do something with the 3 of them?
Pulled a few fabrics out and am going to make some tote bags and library bags for some great nieces. Forgot I even had some of these fabrics.....cute stuff!
Do have some for my string quilt, which I expect to be an on going project for a long time. Will be a challenge for me as I am not too good at random.....but trying to embrace my randomness! LOL

loves_2_quilt 06-09-2013 07:50 PM

Maybe a disappearing 9 patch. I made a completely scrappy one and it was very pretty. Lots of free patterns/directions if you do a google search.
D

quiltsRfun 06-09-2013 08:25 PM

Anything from Bonnie Hunter.

gsbuffalo 06-10-2013 02:32 AM

yeap Bonnie Hunter has alot of ideas

sewmom 06-10-2013 03:09 AM

Double Slice Layer cake from MSQC. Or any pattern that uses the layer cakes. Turning Twenty patterns. Fat quarter patterns. Lots to choose from.

Nilla 06-10-2013 03:15 AM

I was also thinking of the Turning Twenty, and I agree that Bonnie Hunter probably has some great ideas for large scrappy quilts.

Greenheron 06-10-2013 03:38 AM

String quilts are my favorite scrappy. You might consider sewing your larger scraps end-to-end (side-by-side?) and then cutting the result into strings.

Jackie Spencer 06-10-2013 05:17 AM

I have seen some beautiful scrappy Log Cabin quilts.

pocoellie 06-10-2013 05:47 AM

Majestic mountains is a great pattern for large scraps.

AlienQuilter 06-10-2013 06:17 AM

Use the small scraps for piecing the top - use the large fabrics for the backing.

Also, I have the large tumbler and love it! I think I saw a picture of a quilt where they alternated the size of the tumbler form one row to the next. You could always end the rows with a partial tumbler the same fabric as the border so you could keep the tumbler shape on the ends that way. Then just clean up the ends of the row before adding the borders.

I only had to use the seam ripper 3 times in my first tumbler quilt. Then I got the hang of lining the blocks up. I figured out that if I fingered pressed the seam on the top piece, I could line it up, pin it, then sew the seam. Just remember - tumpler blocks have biased sides so no pulling on the edges. I ended every row with a tumbler block that I cut down the middle and that middle edge would be on the end of the row so no stay stitching required.

Please show us a picture of your finished quilt - I bet it's gorgeous! I love scrappies! I have a queen size on my bed that my step mother made for us about 25 years ago.