Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Latest obsession is (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/latest-obsession-t222574.html)

GrannieAnnie 05-30-2013 04:43 AM

Latest obsession is

Latest obsession is going to thrift stores and seeing how much fabric I can get for how little money

Earlier this week, I finished a WOF rag blanket from about $2 of fabric---------------not counting the cost of thread..I try NOT to know how much that costs.

Got a 5 store run mapped out for later today---------I've previously purchased fabric at each of the stores. Not that I NEED fabric, but the HUNT is the real game

grannie cheechee 05-30-2013 04:49 AM

It sounds like your having fun!!!! Enjoy yourself.

QuiltnNan 05-30-2013 05:26 AM

it's a great game to find bargains and turn them into treasures

MartiMorga 05-30-2013 05:32 AM

I use to be more able to hit garage, estate and thrift stores - now I am usually with the husband and he just isn't into more "stuff". Of course I am anxious to rid myself of things I need to dust for things I can just sew with.

auntpiggylpn 05-30-2013 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by MartiMorga (Post 6093604)
Of course I am anxious to rid myself of things I need to dust for things I can just sew with.

I'm with you on this one! I used to love to collect knick knacks and now when I pick one up I think "dust collector" and promptly put it back on the shelf!

bearisgray 05-30-2013 05:53 AM

Sounds like a fun obsession - Hope you score often!

My DH is so NOT into stopping at yard sales and/or thrift stores :(

willferg 05-30-2013 05:55 AM

That's why I love Craigslist - I search for fabric under yard sales and arts and crafts and have come across some good deals. I'm supposed to meet with a woman next week who is going to be moving shortly and wants to sell off some of her stash that is in "bins and bins" in a storage unit. I'm excited – it could be lots of old, smelly calicos, or it could be a gold mine. Such is the thrill of the hunt!

willferg 05-30-2013 05:56 AM

That's why I love Craigslist - I search for fabric under yard sales and arts and crafts and have come across some good deals. I'm supposed to meet with a woman next week who is going to be moving shortly and wants to sell off some of her stash that is in "bins and bins" in a storage unit. I'm excited – it could be lots of old, smelly calicos, or it could be a gold mine. Such is the thrill of the hunt!

DebraK 05-30-2013 06:00 AM

I hear ya! Every time DH picks up a beautiful treasure, I ask, "how can we use it, and are you willing to keep it clean?". He's starting to get it. I believe in beautiful things, but I like for a lot of them to have some use these days. Those, I don't mind cleaning. yes, I'm getting old ;-)

Jingle 05-30-2013 06:34 AM

I leave my Husband at home when I shop, unless I want something from Home Depot or Lowe's.
I have lots of dust collectors, getting most in cabinets or stored away. Let my Daughter and Granddaughter decide what to do with them when I'm gone.